News & Blog

As a leading authority for summer camps and youth development, ACA works to preserve, promote, and improve the camp experience.

Movie and Music Use for Summer Camps

April 17, 2020

Are you looking at virtual as a way to offer programming this summer?  Thinking of showing a movie or using music as part of your program? 

The American Camp Association has arrangements with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) as a benefit to ACA – Accredited Camps and an affordable option for ACA Members with the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP).

 American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) 

All ACA -accredited camps are automatically licensed by the ASCAP.  Typically, this license covers singing and use of songs on camp.  This year, and this year only, it will be good for the streaming aspect of programming.  So, if you were hoping to have a camp sing along with your campers virtually – it will be covered.

 The license does not cover non-camp events held by the operator.

For specific questions concerning which music and lyrics fall under ASCAP licensing, contact ACA’s office administrator, 800-428-CAMP (2267).

 Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC)

ACA has partnered with the Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) to make camp movie night simple, affordable, and legal. Best of all, ACA members receive a discount on the Umbrella License.  There are options for a licensing for a 3, 6, 9 and 12-month License.  Complete the Umbrella License application, and return it to MPLC.

If you have questions, please contact either the American Camp Association at (765) 342-8456, or MPLC at (800) 462-8855 or

Showing Movies at Camp? Know the Licensing Laws

More information will be posted on the COVID-19 Resource page at in the next few days

Stay Up To Date
And Never Miss An Event

Update your e-Mail subscription preferences now!