Staff at the Manice Education Center work closely together in a supportive atmosphere teaching small, coed groups (10-12 students) of New York City (NYC) public school students in a variety of outdoor classroom and camp settings. The Manice Education Center (MEC) is intentionally located in a unique outdoor setting within the heart of the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts. MEC operates several distinctly different seasonal programs that are experientially focused in high-quality environmental education, wilderness camping, and leadership training from May through October. With a staff to student ratio averaging 1:6, outdoor education counselors and assistant counselors facilitate debates, science labs, cooperative games, group initiatives, and campfires for groups of approximately forty campers.
Outdoor Education Assistant Counselors in our summer programs will lead wilderness expeditions for campers & can expect to guide an average of 6 backpacking and/or canoeing trips, ranging from 2 to 5 days in length.
Position Availability: Seasonal Summer Camp Back Country Expedition Program: 6-15-15 to 8-26-15
Staff can arrive on 6-12-15 to take SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR Certification Courses offered at MEC.
• Assist Outdoor Education Counselors in delivering experientially-focused program lessons, activities, and off-site trips.
• As necessary, independently supervise youth, lead trips, and deliver lessons.
• Overnight supervision of students (max. 7) in cabin style tents
• Help to manage greenhouse and gardens.
• Enable program success by providing assistance as needed and directed, leading by example, and developing positive relationships with our youth.
Apply by: July 21 2015
Camp/Organization: Manice Education Center
Location: Florida, MA
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Must be 19 years of age to apply.
- Background clearances and medical physical required.
- Initial drug screening may be required.
• Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth. • Some academic studies in the sciences and experience in outdoor leadership and adventure programming is preferred. • Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications or ability & commitment to successfully obtain during certification courses offered at MEC in June. • Waterfront Lifeguard Certification, or ability to obtain during certification courses offered at MEC in June, is preferred. • Spanish/English Bilingual a plus.
Compensation: • Weekly salary. Lodging (cabin tents), basic amenities, excellent food service, and outdoor equipment discounts. • Gain professional development in outdoor education through intensive trainings, a supportive environment, and valued, experiential contributions to the program. • Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a one hundred-year tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission. TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and 3 reference contacts (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director @ firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Manice Education Center, 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247, Tel.: 413-663-8463 Fax: 413.663.5399.