As an instructor at an Empow Studios Summer Camp, you will inspire and teach youth to create projects using today’s latest computer technologies. In each week-long day-camp session, you will educate campers through exposure to coding/programming, video game design, robotics, 3D design, stop-motion/digital animation, and other technological adventures. In between projects, you will engage campers with games, outdoor play, and other fun activities to reinforce learning and create a positive environment for all. The ideal candidate will have a passion for and experience in both STEM and youth education. This is a great opportunity for a flexible team player with a positive attitude and engaging communication and teaching skills.
Our camps consist of two types of supervisory instructors:
Lead Instructors work closely with students to make sure that they receive the support they need to progress through the curriculum and that they have a great overall experience. Lead instructors are responsible for supervising a group of students and will work under the direct supervision of senior staff and escalate issues as needed.
Senior Instructors teach classes of students independently - under the management of the Camp Directors. Senior Instructors work closely with students to make sure that they receive the support they need to progress through the curriculum and that they have a great overall experience. Senior Instructors may also mentor junior or lead instructors.
Apply by: July 3 2020
Camp/Organization: Empow Studios
Location: Day Camp Locations across Massachusetts and Online: Lexington, Newton, Acton, Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Jamaica Plain, Brookline, Cambridge, Cape Cod, Franklin, Milton/Quincy, Natick, Needham/Wellesley, Shrewsbury, Somerville and Online/Virtual Camps.
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: This is a temporary hourly position with a max of 40 hours each camp-week for which you are scheduled. $14-$18/hr based on experience.
Lead Instructors: must be 16+ years of age (a high school graduate with college plans, a current undergrad student, or college degree holder is preferred)
Senior Instructors: must meet the above minimum requirement and have a bachelor's degree or advanced training
All instructors must have a minimum of 4 weeks worth of camp or teaching experience
All instructors must be able to start online training in June
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- At least 1 year of work experience teaching or mentoring youth
- Demonstrated ability to positively impact youth and address the varied needs of students in a physical or virtual setting
- Experience in one or more subject matter areas: 3D design, music production, stop motion and digital animation, robotics, coding languages (Java, Python and/or Scratch), Minecraft (redstone, command blocks, pixel art), AR/VR languages (Unity & C#)
- Possession of a learner mindset; a willingness to learn new technologies and teaching techniques; and a positive "I care" attitude, including the ability to maintain enthusiasm in the face of challenges
- Engaging communication skills, including the ability to hold students’ attention while discussing subject matter, and willingness to engage parents/guardians as partners in the camp experience
- Demonstrated ability to be a flexible team player
- Experience in customer service
- Strong commitment to Empow Studios’ mission
<p><br /><br /></p>