The Family Outdoor Center, a branch of the MetroWest YMCA, is located on 122 pristine acres that include a summer camp with over 1,000 campers a weeks, challenge course groups throughout the year, adventure-based Y programs and unique teen programming.
The MetroWest YMCA Family Outdoor Center is seeking a highly experienced camp professional. The MetroWest YMCA Day Camp is a large day camp of 1,000 campers per day, over 200 seasonal staff and an annual camp budget of $2.1 million. Candidates should have a proven track record of creative program development and proactive responses to curriculum and participant feedback analysis. Excellence in quality leadership would require experience in positive staff coaching, progressive program development and parent relations. Experience in leading summer day or resident camp operations is a must.
Apply by: April 25 2020
Camp/Organization: MetroWest YMCA
Location: Hopkinton Family Outdoor Center
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
- Organization, marketing, implementation and evaluation of summer day camp, school vacation clubs and alumni relations which includes camp reunions
- Develops, implements, and manages operating plans to promote program and/or membership growth for the YMCA. Executes strategies to ensure that members and/or program participants connect with one another and connect with the YMCA.
- Ensure the safety, high quality and strong financial management of all programs and operation through the development and maintenance of a strong part-time staff team, appropriate administrative systems, and high curriculum and safety standards.
- Program leadership and guidance includes but not limited to summer camp programs, vacation clubs and alumni relation including reunions.
- Responsible for the licensing and operation of day camps in accordance with both local and State of Massachusetts Departments of Public Health and following best practices of American Camping Association standards.
- Creates comprehensive action and improvement plans based on program survey data (SEER BaseMetrics).
- Ensures a positive working and program environment emphasizing the YMCA’s areas of focus and character values.
- Ensures high quality member-focused programs through innovative program development, evaluations and ongoing training of staff.
- Directly responsible for successful marketing and communications development and implementation.
- Assists in other department operations and special events as assigned by the Branch Executive Director.
STAFF ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
- Recruits, hires, trains, manages, develops, coaches, schedules, and directs staff and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete. Conducts safety, certification, and service training for staff.
- Hires, trains, and supervises staff and volunteers in assigned areas. Facilitates communication and provides leadership. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Maintains all certifications and training hours necessary for the position to include First Aid, CPR and O2 training. MEMBERSHIP ENGAGEMENT & DEVELOPMENT
- Builds relationships with and among members, responds to inquiries and solves problems. Creates a safe and supportive community environment, assists in recruiting and engaging new members, and connects members to the YMCA’s cause.
- Cultivate deep and meaningful relationships with camp parents and guardians.
BUDGET & FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Plans and manages department budgets as approved in a fiscally responsible manner. Responsible for timely and accurate payroll for the department
- Develops, monitors, controls and prepares monthly reports for department budgets related to the position.
- Provides leadership and support to the annual fundraising campaign which includes fund development and capacity building towards specific program departments.
- Maintains accurate and to date records, files, purchase orders, and billing / collection procedures and provides data and reports as required for assigned programs. Responsible for processing refunds, credits and entering program table files.
- Works with appropriate branch staff to provide program facilities for members that are safe, clean, adequately equipped, well maintained, and attractive.
- Works cooperatively with the Building and Grounds Director to ensure the cleanliness and safety of all program and facility areas.
- Builds and develops volunteer capacity, sharing the social responsibility.
- Provides leadership and support to volunteer committees.
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT & SUPPORT
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities/events, and engages in collaborative relationships with community organizations in order to strengthen support and build community.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships within the community.
- Possess or ability to complete: ropes course and belay trainings, CPR/AED and First Aid.
- Bachelor's degree in human services, social services, recreation, education, business or equivalent.
- 4+ years of full time experience in YMCA or related work.
- 2+ years in leadership of a summer camp
- Ability to direct programs through supervision of volunteers and staff, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development and fund-raising.
- Have the ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Progress in YMCA leadership certification.
- Demonstrated ability to produce positive results in the areas of program development, risk management, participant retention, and assertion with challenging tasks.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and purpose of the YMCA including working with diverse populations
- Possess or ability to complete: ropes course and belay trainings, CPR/AED and First Aid as well as lifeguard certifications
- Demonstrated ability in data driven decision making
- Ability to establish and maintain authentic and deepened relationships with community organizations
- Strong leadership skills
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- A professional image and the ability to work harmoniously with staff, members and the community.
BENEFITS INCLUDE: • Health, Dental, Vision, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance and ADD&D • 10% YMCA Paid Retirement Plan • Paid Time Off - Vacation, Holiday and Sick time • MetroWest YMCA Household Membership • Membership/Program/Childcare Discounts • Employee Assistance Program • Paid Professional Development opportunities We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. At the MetroWest YMCA, our cause defines us. We know that lasting personal and social change comes about when we all work together. That's why, at the Y, strengthening community is our cause. Every day, we work side-by-side with our neighbors to make sure that everyone, regardless of age, income or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. The Y is open to all, and we pride ourselves on the diversity of our members and employees. EOE
<p>45 East Street <br />Hopkinton, Massachusetts 01748</p>