We're Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA). We’re 45,000 strong, with 30,000 girls and 15,000 volunteers in 178 communities in eastern Massachusetts who believe in the power of every G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ to change the world. Girl Scouts is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls. It is also a great place to work! We offer amazing opportunities for forward-thinking, talented individuals who share our vision of helping girls and young women change the world for the better.
Every summer, girls arrive to summer camp excited for new experiences. As a Camp Counselor it’s your responsibility to encourage them to be courageous, demonstrate compassion and leadership, and participate in energetic activities that build memories for a lifetime. You have a desire to work with youth as they learn and succeed. You strive to be an inspiration. You want to have a positive impact on them as they build a stronger sense of courage, confidence, and character.
GSEMA is currently looking for a dedicated and qualified Camp Counselors (Unit or Program) for our 2020 summer camp season at Camp Favorite. Camp Favorite is located on beautiful Cape Cod and is GSEMA’s premier sailing and water sports resident camp. Resident camp will run from mid-June to mid-August.
To work with and care for a group of girls and help to plan and implement a varied, safe, well-rounded program.
- Lives and works as a team with other unit staff in the leadership responsibilities of the unit such as caring for the children, making schedules, assisting with cookouts, and leading program activities.
- Guides girls in the “girl planning” process ensuring that each girl’s ideas are listened to. Plans with campers to implement general and specific programming of the unit including program activities, leadership development, self-esteem building, community service and more which reflects the girls’ personal choices and desires.
- Maintains good public relations and healthy communication with campers, their parents, fellow staff, and the community in person and online.
- Participates in pre-camp training, and assists in the opening and closing of camp.
- Maintains accurate, up to date records; submits reports and evaluations on time as requested.
- Responsible for the health and safety of all campers through modeling proper behaviors and practices, and reporting of accidents or issues beyond ones skill level to the appropriate staff person. Includes ensuring a well-equipped first aid kit is in each living unit.
- Assists in camp cleanliness, sanitation, cares for camp property and equipment, asks for materials and food when needed, and reports any camp repairs in a timely manner. Encourages campers and staff to care for the camp property, facilities, and equipment.
- Utilizes good health and safety practices in all activities. Instructs campers in and follows emergency procedures, such as fire drills, intruders, severe weather, etc.
- Gets to know each girl in the group, encourages her personal growth at camp, and helps her respect the rights of others and herself.
- Acts as a role model for campers and others, including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and chores, sportswomanship, table manners and participating in all camp activities.
- Follows camp rules and regulations as outlined in the personnel policies or as communicated by the Camp Director.
- All other duties as assigned.
Apply by: May 4 2020
Camp/Organization: Camp Favorite / Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Brewster, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Skills and Qualifications:
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. At Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, we strive to create transformative learning experiences and leadership opportunities for all girls. The threads of diversity and inclusion are woven tightly into our mission of supporting and nurturing girls of courage, confidence and character. We hold firm in our belief that a culture of diversity and inclusion promotes unity, creates personal and professional growth opportunities for our employees, and supports safety and transformation for our volunteers and girls of all backgrounds. Diversity and Inclusion is more than an initiative; it’s a set of shared values that defines the fabric of our mission.