We're Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA). We’re 45,000 strong, with 30,000 girls and 15,000 volunteers in 178 communities in eastern Massachusetts who believe in the power of every G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ to change the world. Girl Scouts is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls. It is also a great place to work! We offer amazing opportunities for forward-thinking, talented individuals who share our vision of helping girls and young women change the world for the better.
Every summer, girls arrive to summer camp excited for new experiences. As a Camp Counselor it’s your responsibility to encourage them to be courageous, demonstrate compassion and leadership, and participate in energetic activities that build memories for a lifetime. You have a desire to work with youth as they learn and succeed. You strive to be an inspiration. You want to have a positive impact on them as they build a stronger sense of courage, confidence, and character.
GSEMA is currently looking for a dedicated and qualified Camp Counselors (Unit or Program) for our 2020 summer camp season at Camp Cedar Hill. Located in Waltham, MA, Camp Cedar Hill offers archery, swimming, boating, high and low ropes challenge courses and more. Camp will run from mid-June to mid-August.
To work with and care for a group of girls and help to plan and implement a varied, safe, well-rounded program.
- Shares in the leadership responsibilities of the unit.
- Plans with campers and staff an interesting and challenging camp program, which reflects their personal choices and desires.
- Ensures that each girl’s ideas are listened to, and that girl planning happens.
- Becomes familiar with the natural resources of the camp area and share with the group what is available to them.
- Arranges and requisition necessary supplies for planned program activities.
- Takes responsibility for health and safety of campers. Seeks prompt medical or first aid attention when needed.
- Instructs campers in and follow emergency procedures, such as fire drills, intruders, severe weather, etc.
- Gets to know each girl in the group, encourage her personal growth at camp, and help her respect the rights of others and herself.
- Encourages respect for personal property, camp equipment, and facilities. Reports maintenance needs as needed.
- Sets a good example for campers and others, including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and kapers, and participating in all camp activities.
- At the end of the session, fills out all required paperwork and duties such as badge record sheets, program evaluations, girl evaluations, etc. Submits all reports and paperwork on time.
- Maintains good public relations with campers, their parents, fellow staff, and the community in person and online.
- All other duties as assigned
Apply by: May 4 2020
Camp/Organization: Camp Cedar Hill / Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Waltham, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Skills and Qualifications:
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance.
- Ability to assist in teaching an activity.
- Familiar with Girl Scout program.
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-control.
- Acceptance of all people and ability to work with girls and adults of various races, religions, national origins and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Ability to work within the camp environment.
- Ability to be an effective member of the staff team.
- At least 18 years of age or just graduating from High School
- Must become a registered Girl Scout.
- Must complete a criminal background check.
Physical Demands: The physical demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk on varied terrain, play games with campers and talk or hear.
- Specific vision ability required by this job is the ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. Ability to differentiate colors helpful.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 30 pounds on a regular basis.
Work Environment: The work environment an employee is exposed to while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work may be indoors or outdoors and may be hot, humid, rainy or cool weather.
- Work will be during daytime with optional evening and overnight hours.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. At Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, we strive to create transformative learning experiences and leadership opportunities for all girls. The threads of diversity and inclusion are woven tightly into our mission of supporting and nurturing girls of courage, confidence and character. We hold firm in our belief that a culture of diversity and inclusion promotes unity, creates personal and professional growth opportunities for our employees, and supports safety and transformation for our volunteers and girls of all backgrounds. Diversity and Inclusion is more than an initiative; it’s a set of shared values that defines the fabric of our mission.