Assistant Camp Director
September 9, 2022
Website Pine Tree Society
Discovering Abilities Together
Pine Tree Camp is looking for a Assistant Camp Director to join our team in Rome, ME. Pine Tree Camp is a place where children and adults with disabilities are able to participate in all the Maine recreational activities all year long. The barrier-free setting, along with an amazing staff, ensure that activities like swimming, snow shoeing, fishing, kayaking, hiking, boating and even camping in a tent under the stars are completely accessible to all.
The Assistant Camp Director is a role model position and is responsible for the day-to-day supervision, training, and support of Pine Tree Camp day camp and Camp to You programming and counselor teams. This position is responsible for engaging and motivating the staff to provide a high-quality day and online camp experience. This job position will require willingness to be flexible and adaptable based on the ever changing needs of our community.
- Assists the Camp Director with the planning and implementation of trainings for leadership and staff.
- Coordinates with the Camp Director on program schedules, transportation safety, staff deportment, camper supervision, duty schedules, camper records review, etc.
- Oversees and provides the leadership, supervision, and coordination required in all aspects of programming.
- Prepares, documents, and conducts annual performance reviews within 2 weeks of staff anniversary dates and 90-day reviews for new staff.
- Observes, supervises, and monitors program staff team members’ effectiveness (such as meeting the daily activity schedules, adherence to rules and regulations, program space cleanliness and sanitation, cooperation, program involvement, staff/camper interaction, etc.).
- Collaborates with the Camp Director to conduct end of session and end of season performance reviews with all Program Leaders.
- Develops Program Leaders by providing encouragement and ongoing direction as needed to support self-confidence growth and willingness to accept increasing responsibility.
- Monitors Program Staff adherence to Pine Tree Camp policies, procedures, and culture.
- Provides the Camp Director with information and recommendations related to program operation in order to facilitate effective camp operation.
Year Round Programming
- Recruiting and maintaining a pool of part time staff and volunteers to adequately meet the staffing needs for a robust retreat schedule.
- Identifies program needs and works with camp director to schedule coverage for program
- Works with the Camp Director to provide visitor orientation and serves as primary contact for retreat groups.
- Administers a post retreat satisfaction survey.
- Ensures that groups meets ACA standards.
- Assists the Camp Director with scheduling and helps with the planning and implementation for all Camp special events.
- Collaborates with the Camp Director to develop and implement new program opportunities for year round programming at camp.
Education: Bachelor’s degree with training in camping, rehabilitation or education; or Bachelor’s degree with three years of recreation experience. License: Valid driver’s license with a clear driving record, have a reliable vehicle with at least the state minimum automobile insurance coverage and the ability and willingness to travel to off-site locations. Background checks including, but not limited to: motor vehicle, criminal, Adult Protective Services, Child Protective Services, US DHHS Fraud Prevention and Protection (OIG) and MaineCare background checks.
- Recreation and camp leadership experience
- Demonstrated teaching/coaching skills and experience.
- Successful leadership skills consistent with a culture of diversity and inclusiveness.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for working with people with disabilities.
- Ability and willingness to live in close quarters with others.
- Ability to maintain a high level of sustainable personal mental and physical energy that can be shared with staff and campers.
- Ability and willingness to make decisions that are in the best interest of Pine Tree Society.
- Detailed understanding of camp operations, programs, and camper needs.
- Ability to communicate oral and written effectively and compassionately with program participants, their families, volunteers, the general public and representatives of other services providers.
- Ability to organize time effectively and remain flexible in order to deal with multiple, changing priorities and interruptions in a multi-faceted work environment Proficient with computer and standard business software
Company: Pine Tree Society
Location: Rome, Maine
ACA Accredited: Yes
Time Frame: Year Round
Type of Position: Director
Day or Night: Overnight
Salary: Not Specified
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.