A Camp Starfish TIDES Advisor provides day-to-day guidance and mentorship to a small group of teens (Trainees) in the TIDES ((Transitional Independence & Directed Experiential Summer) program. Responsibilities include ensuring Trainees create and follow their daily schedules, role modelling appropriate professional and social skills, assisting the TIDES Administrator in preparing and delivering curriculum content (subjects include nutrition, cooking, healthy lifestyle choices, professional working skills, money management, college life, and much more), balancing a “hands off” approach with independent life skill guidance to ensure all Trainees are as self-sufficient as possible. All advisors live and work as part of the TIDES community. The community creates its own schedule, buys its own groceries and cooks preferred meals, operates a Farmers Market stall, and has relaxed vibe to it. You’ll definitely get the traditional summer camp experience but will have far greater freedom and offsite adventures than your standard camp counselor. For example, each week the TIDES community chooses a number of offsite group activities which include going to an amusement park, a day at the mall, hiking a mountain, a trip to Boston, a nice dinner out, movie night, and many more.
For more on the TIDES Program at Camp Starfish: http://www.campstarfish.org/camps/tides.html
Successful candidates demonstrate:
- Strong personal integrity, adaptability, emotional intelligence, enthusiasm, patience, and self-control
- Able to make quick and safe decisions during offsite activities and positively represent Camp Starfish
- Ability to understand, role model, and adhere to Starfish policies and procedures
- Use of the “Starfish Tools” as a foundation for professional development and interactions
- Willingness and ability to seek and accept supervision and guidance
- Embrace and accept differences in religion/ethnicity/culture/race/gender/sexual orientation and/or other diversities. Willingness and ability to treat all campers and staff fairly regardless of identity, background, and/or preferences
- Pass all background checks as required for seasonal employees of an organization working with vulnerable child populations
- Ability to work the entirety of the season, as stated in a letter of hire, including staff training dates.
Apply by: May 20 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Starfish
Location: Rindge, NH
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
Must be 21 years of age or older
All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.