Trip Leaders are counselors who have the responsibility for taking campers on out-of-camp trips ranging from one to six days. The trip leader performs their job according to Wyonegonic program beliefs, ACA Standards and Maine State requirements. The goal of our trip program is to provide a safe, small group experience that offers adventure and challenge, appreciation for the outdoors and opportunity to share responsibility. Trip Leaders should be comfortable leading hiking and canoe trips with children.
This is a multi-faceted and fast paced position that entails both out of camp trip leading and in camp program responsibilities.
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times, both when on duty and during time off
- Have a genuine interest in working with youth
- Live in residency
- Act as primary decision maker and responsible for group safety
- Provide a small group experience that offers challenge and adventure, appreciation for the out-of-doors and opportunity to share responsibility
- Organize appropriate group gear, provisions, and food, and ensure that campers have appropriate personal gear, on both departure and return to camp
- Drive van and/or trailer or coordinate with assigned driver for transportation needs
- Navigate trails or waterways with camper involvement and instruction
- Practice and instruct Leave No Trace wilderness ethics
- Promote upcoming trips and work with Program Director for camper trip assignments
- Maintain camper database on interest, signup and trip assignments, evaluation and history
- Maintain cleanliness and organization in Trip Shack
- Assist cabin counselors with Overnight Trip pack out
- Be a member of the staff team within an assigned age unit
- Teach up to five periods per day in assigned program area
- Provide support for Evening Programs, Sunday program and special events
- Provide written evaluations for Trip Coordinator on assigned trips
Apply by: May 31 2019
Camp/Organization: Wyonegonic Camps (ACA Accredited)
Location: Denmark, ME
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Minimum age of 21 years
- Driver’s license with a clean record
- Current Certification or training provided on site in June: American Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguard Training; American Canoe Association Flatwater Canoe Instructor; Wilderness First Aid with CPR/AED; Maine State Trip Leader; Leave No Trace Trainer
Preferred prior experience: Previous outdoor experience leading groups (preferably children) on multi-day trips; Leave No Trace knowledge; paddling canoes or kayaks; orienteering and map skills; hiking and backpacking; food preparation and outdoor cooking, wilderness first aid.
This position requires certifications that are offered by Wyonegonic in June. Wyonegonic covers the cost of certification and training and provides room and board as part of the compensation.