Christodora, a non-sectarian, non-profit organization, announces an exciting seasonal full-time opportunity for an experienced camp director to guide an established team this summer and fall at the Manice Education Center (MEC), located in the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts. Since 1897, Christodora: Nature, Learning, Leadership has been helping New York City youth from under-resourced communities flourish and succeed, recently receiving a nationally recognized ‘Hi Impact’ award in 2018 for being a leader in the social and emotional learning of youth aged 11-18. MEC’s co-ed, residential camp programs serve 44 campers at a time during five 1-3 week long summer programs that center around 2 to 5 day backpacking and canoeing expeditions, as well as a shoulder season booked with ten 3-day field trips for NYC schools in the fall. Christodora’s successful programs in environmental education, leadership training, and wilderness expeditions are steeped in tradition and build from a foundation of trust that is developed from a 1:5 staff to camper ratio. http://www.christodora.org
Engaging as a key team member, the Wilderness Camp Director brings a high level of positive energy while providing effective leadership for operations at the Manice Education Center. The Camp Director will maintain and cultivate a well-established program that meets both state regulations and national best practices and will work closely with an experienced Assistant Director to lead trainings and empower 12 already hired outdoor educators—70% of whom are camp alumni and returning staff. A primary role of the Wilderness Camp Director is to ensure safe programming through daily on-site supervision, approval of camp activities and risk management plans, being a leader during any camp emergencies--including on-call responsibilities. The Camp Director will also engage services from existing vendors, approve supply requisitions, and work with the Caretaker to sustain already well-maintained facilities and grounds. A full team of direct reports, including the Assistant Director, Wilderness Program Supervisor, Logistics Coordinator, Aquatics Director, Camp Nurse, veteran service staff, and dedicated volunteers are ready to help you fulfill Christodora’s mission at the Manice Education Center for the 2019 season.
Apply by: July 12 2019
Camp/Organization: Christodora's Manice Education Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Town of Florida, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Excellent motivational, organizational, and communication skills; BA/BS in a related discipline.
- At least 2 years of experience as a residential camp director. Prefer candidates familiar with American Camping Association accreditation standards and prior senior leadership experience for wilderness expeditionary programming.
- First Aid/ CPR Certification required. Training provided on June 8/9 at the Manice Education Center. Wilderness First Responder and CPR/AED Certifications that will be current for the June – Oct. 2019 Season is preferred.
- Waterfront Lifeguarding Certification (or ability to attain during June 2019 trainings at MEC) is preferred—yet not required. Water Safety Instructor certification highly desired.
- Local regulations require candidates to be at least 25 year old. • Current Driver’s License and a Safe Driving Record. Must be comfortable driving 15 passenger vans and towing a canoe trailer and small equipment trailer.
- Background clearances, references, and medical physical.
The Manice Education Center is a residential program and requires the Director to live on-site or nearby from June through October. The Director is part of the leader for an on-call support system.
We are seeking candidates who:
- Have at least 2 years of prior experience as a residential camp director. Ideal candidates would possess a wilderness first responder certification or would be willing to attain.
- Have high energy and outstanding prior performance as a leader with positive and effective communication skills.
- Are passionate about positively impacting youth and can easily build rapport with a broad and diverse population from low-income neighborhoods in New York City.
- Have prior experience overseeing challenge course activities, backpacking & canoeing trips, and are able to provide training, and as necessary, direct field support.
- Are experienced in making effective leadership decisions during emergency procedures, and can respond as needed to directly manage camp and expedition programs.
- Preferred but not required: Are able to easily spark an interest in the natural sciences and possess experience teaching environmental education lessons/activities in informal camp settings to middle school and high school aged youth.
Salary/Benefits: Competitive weekly salary D.O.E.; housing; equipment discounts; meals during Manice Education Center operating season. Apply: Please send a detailed cover letter and a resume to Christodora at: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Wilderness Camp Director” in the title. Feel free to include outdoor leadership and/or education portfolios. Christodora is committed to making a difference within a culturally diverse educational environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will further this goal. Three professional references that we can contact will be required at the first interview. Christodora is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.