The Waterfront Director at Pilgrim Lodge will work as a member of a permanent, seasonal, summer camp staff of approximately 16, in cooperation with the weekly volunteer counseling staff.
Primary Responsibilities :
1. Ensure the general safety of campers and staff at the waterfront.
2. Supervise the lifeguard team.
3. Manage any waterfront emergencies.
4. Assist with program needs.
5. Lifeguard daily.
Additional Responsibilities :
1. Create and implement educational and fun programming for campers, particularly involving the waterfront and boating as well as indoor programs for rainy days
2. Participate in ongoing training and safety assessment, conducting in-service skills sessions for all lifeguards weekly
3. Oversee waterfront
4. Plan, direct and supervise waterfront activity
5. Supervise and evaluate waterfront and boating staff
6. Work with the Assistant Director on scheduling of lifeguards
7. Establish a safety plan and ongoing training for lifeguards
8. Teach and monitor proper use of equipment
9. Keep an inventory of waterfront equipment and do routine maintenance checks of equipment
10. Oversee Boating Director & assist with boating as needed (canoeing, kayaking, rowing, and sailing)
11. Keep waterfront program areas safe, neat and presentable
12. Help campers launch and return boats
13. An average of 2.5 hours per week of preparing the camp for new campers
14. Assist and resource deans and counselors with transportation for island programming
Other Duties Include :
1. Assist in the kitchen: preparing food and cleaning kitchen
2. Clean camp: Clean bathrooms, Wash dishes & pots, Empty garbage and go to the dump
3. Help counselors, deans and other staff members to maintain camper supervision at all times
4. Lead group building ‘challenge activities’ as trained
5. Lead “interest groups” activities as needed
6. Help in the camp store as scheduled
7. Help lead group singing and worship services, as needed
8. Every other week cleaning and preparing the camp for new campers
9. Assist campers, volunteer counselors and deans with any and all needs
10. Occasional week long shifts of living with campers in camper cabin (cabin counselor)
11. Work closely with other staff members
12. Help to build camp morale and encourage the growth of other staff members
13. Assist other staff members with their duties when needed
14. Participate in staff activities and meetings
15. Community living assignments (i.e.: keeping living space clean, helping set the dinner table)
Apply by: May 13 2018
Camp/Organization: Pilgrim Lodge (ACA Accredited)
Location: West Gardiner, Maine
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
1. At least 21 years of age
1. Red Cross Lifeguard Certification or equivalent lifeguarding experience (training provided, if not currently certified)
2. Experience in leading, managing, and supervising others, especially peers
Items to Note : 1. This is a full-time, seasonal position. 2. Start and end dates will be negotiated, but all staff will be on site June 18 - August 21. 3. Salary depends on experience and will be a set daily rate - an average week consists of 5.5 work days 4. You will be living closely with other staff members (4-5 per cabin) in an intentional Christian community 5. You will be doing meaningful, but hard work – which can mean some long days 6. The Waterfront Director reports to the Camp Director, with occasional check-ins with the Assistant Director. For more information about Pilgrim Lodge, visit www.pilgrimlodge.org