- Manage all aspects of Merrowvista’s summer waterfront program.
- Supervise a team of 5 waterfront specialists as well as a large staff of rotating lifeguards and aquatic observers.
- Ensure a high level of quality in programming, including swim lessons and all associated waterfront recreational and instructional activities.
- Serve as the primary risk manager of the waterfront program area, striving to keep children and staff safe while having fun.
- Community Expectations
- Follow all policies and procedures outlined in the staff Helping Handbook including, our alcohol, drug, and tobacco free campus policy.
- Fully participate in and be present at all community activities
- Conduct staff training sessions in emergency procedures that includes rescue simulations and skills assessment.
- Supervise, evaluate, and deliver feed back to waterfront specialists and seasonal staff based on observation of instructional and lifeguarding duties.
- Evaluate and record swimming abilities for all campers and staff, to be followed by assigning them to participate and instruct swim classes appropriate to their skill level.
- Organize and administer water carnivals and other special events conducted at the waterfront.
- Assist the Director of Camp Programs in evaluation of water programs and facilities.
- Plan and initiate new programs and innovative uses for the waterfront.
- Oversee construction and repair of waterfront facilities and equipment, coordinating with the Merrowvista Site Director
- Supervise the use and maintenance of all motorized and non motorized water craft, personal floatation devices, rescue and first aid equipment, and all other equipment and gear.
- Conduct and participate in pre-camp waterfront setup and maintenance as well as post-camp take down, maintenance, and storage.
- Document all staff observations, check ins, trainings, skills developments, and any risk management incidents or near misses.
- Have knowledge of curriculum for all waterfront interest groups (boating, swimming, fishing, Dan Hole Pond Explorers). Provide support and constructive feedback for all staff instructing those activities.
- Establish personal and professional goals for the summer and work towards those goals as well as participate in total camp program while at Merrowvista.
Apply by: April 28 2019
Camp/Organization: AYF - Merrowvista (ACA Accredited)
Location: Center Tuftonboro, NH
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
-Must be able to lift 40lbs
-Energy demands will be high throughout the summer.
-Able to visually scan waterfront area out to 100 yards and hear camper voices & lifeguard whistles
-Ability to pass the lifeguard swim assessment and walk up and down rugged terrain.
- Current Lifeguard Certification (Lifeguard Instructor certification preferred)
- Current Water Safety Instructor certification
- At least 21 years of age
- Previous supervisory experience
- Analytical / Interpersonal Skills:
- Strong risk management/safety awareness.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Creative problem solving around camp programming.
- Maintain professional rapport and work with the Directors and other Camp Central Staff throughout the high paced, action packed summer.
- Strong skills in working with children.
Mission: The American Youth Foundation inspires people to discover and develop their personal best, to seek balance in mental, physical, social and spiritual living and to make a positive difference in their communities and in the wider world. Expectation of All Employees: Shows commitment to the core values of best self, balanced living, safety, respect, responsibility and stewardship. Supports the organization’s mission, vision and ethics by displaying the following behaviors: integrity, openness and honesty, listening and understanding, giving and receiving constructive feedback, seeking a balance between personal and professional lives, dependability and accountability.