Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA) serves thousands of girls in grades K-12 and works in partnership with thousands of adult volunteers. It is also a great place to work! Every summer, girls arrive to summer camp excited for new experiences.
As a Unit Counselor, it’s your responsibility to encourage them to be courageous, demonstrate compassion and leadership, and participate in energetic activities that build memories for a lifetime. You have a desire to work with youth as they learn and succeed. You strive to be an inspiration. You want to have a positive impact on them as they build a stronger sense of courage, confidence, and character.
GSEMA is currently looking for dedicated and qualified camp staff for our 2018 summer camp season.
Seasonal camp positions will run from mid-June to mid-August.
UNIT COUNSELOR- Camp Cedar Hill, 241 Forest Street, Waltham, MA 02452
Purpose: To work with a group of girls helping them to plan a varied, safe, well-rounded camp program.
• Shares in the leadership responsibilities of the unit.
• Plans with campers and staff an interesting and challenging camp program, which reflects their personal choices and desires.
• Ensures that each girl’s ideas are listened to, and that girl planning happens.
• Becomes familiar with the natural resources of the camp area and share with the group what is available to them.
• Arranges and requisition necessary supplies for planned program activities.
• Takes responsibility for health and safety of campers. Seeks prompt medical or first aid attention when needed.
• Instructs campers in and follow emergency procedures, such as fire drills, intruders, severe weather, etc.
• Gets to know each girl in the group, encourage her personal growth at camp, and help her respect the rights of others and herself.
• Encourages respect for personal property, camp equipment, and facilities. Reports maintenance needs as needed.
• Sets a good example for campers and others, including cleanliness, punctuality, sharing clean-up and kapers, and participating in all camp activities.
• At the end of the session, fills out all required paperwork and duties such as badge record sheets, program evaluations, girl evaluations, etc. Submits all reports and paperwork on time.
• Maintains good public relations with campers, their parents, fellow staff, and the community in person and online.
• All other duties as assigned
Apply by: July 24 2018
Camp/Organization: Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts-Camp Cedar Hill (ACA Accredited)
Location: Waltham, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Physical Demands: The physical demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk on varied terrain, play games with campers and talk or hear.
• Specific vision ability required by this job is the ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. Ability to differentiate colors helpful.
• Must be able to lift a maximum of 20 pounds on a regular basis.
Work Environment: The work environment an employee is exposed to while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work may be indoors or outdoors and may be hot, humid, rainy or cool weather.
• Work will be during daytime, evening, and overnight hours.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Desire and ability to work with children outdoors.
• Ability to accept supervision and guidance.
• Ability to assist in teaching an activity.
• Familiar with Girl Scout program.
• Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-control.
• Acceptance of all people and ability to work with girls and adults of various races, religions, national origins and socio-economic backgrounds.
• Ability to work within the camp environment.
• Ability to be an effective member of the staff team.
• At least 18 years of age or just graduating from High School
To learn more about all our SEASONAL CAMP EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES, please visit: www.gsema.org To APPLY for a position, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/gsemcampjobs Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity.