Camp Quinebarge is a traditional, overnight boys and girls summer camp lying on 70 acres of forest and over 1,200 feet of lakefront on Lake Kanasatka in Moultonborough, NH. Since 1936, Camp Quinebarge has fostered an environment for children to learn about themselves and the world around them, try new activities and learn new skills, have fun, and make friendships that last a lifetime.
At Quinebarge, counselors lead program activities as well as live in and supervise their assigned cabin of campers. During activity periods, counselors are responsible for their activity areas and for the group of campers assigned for that hour; most other times, they are with their cabin. As part of the Sports and Adventure staff, Tennis Counselors will spend time working in other areas of Sports or Adventure, in addition to leading Tennis lessons and activities.
As a tennis instructor you will have the opportunity to teach tennis lessons on our two beautiful clay courts. These lessons will be individual and also group lessons. You will teach in a range of ages from 7-15. Tennis counselors are part of the larger Sports and Adventure Staff, and will receive belay training for the Adventure elements as well as Archery training. You may be required to work in other areas of Sports or Adventure, per the needs of the Camp.
Job Dates: Approximately June 15 - August 18
How to Apply: To apply for this or other positions at Camp Quinebarge, please visit campquinebarge.com/staff.
Sports Job Functions
- Develop and deliver a tennis program that is appropriate for the age and ability of the campers
- Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in the tennis courts.
- During periods when you’re working but no campers select tennis, you will be absorbed into our Sports and Adventure Program and help lead activities there.
Equipment used includes appropriate equipment for various sports including tennis, baseball, archery, basketball, volleyball, soccer, flag football, Dodgeball, cricket, rounders, and more.
Tennis Counselors will be assigned to live in a cabin with 4-12 campers and one or more co-counselors. Cabins are the very base of life at Camp; campers live in their cabins with children of their own age and it is where most bonding occurs. A cabin counselor is more than a supervisor or babysitter; he creates a bond with his cabin, mentors and inspires campers, and handles minor issues that arise. A camper spends more time with his cabin counselors than with any other adult on camp, and can be most impacted by him for that reason. We want to create friendships, foster growth and independence, and make sure our campers have the best summer experience possible.
Cabin counselors lead all aspects of cabin life, including morning cabin cleanup, bedtime routine, and nightly Candle Pass, as well as spend time with their campers during Rest Period and special events. Each cabin goes on at least one adventure per session - a trip and/or campout on camp or offsite, where cabins laugh, sing, tell stories, and become even closer. In the unlikely event that a counselor is assigned to staff housing, she is still assigned to a cabin and is expected to fully participate as a member of that cabin, only sleeping elsewhere. Cabin assignments may change throughout the summer, per the needs of the Camp.
Cabin Counselor Job Functions
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading activities as assigned.
- Supervising, mentoring, and leading a cabin of 4-12 campers.
- Mentor any CIT assigned to the cabin.
- Perform other general counselor duties, including but not limited to meal supervision, Night Duty, assisting with trips, and other duties as they arise.
Other duties may arise and be assigned by the Directors or other Senior Staff. These may include planning or setting up for special events, acting as a secondary leader for small offsite trips, covering other program or cabin areas, and more.
Apply by: March 31 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Quinebarge (ACA Accredited)
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Camp Quinebarge offers a competitive salary, room and board, leadership and other training, weekly laundry, camp t-shirts, free camper tuition, and the opportunity to participate in trips and onsite events. Staff are eligible for performance bonuses. Staff members receive 7 days off and 9 evenings off over the course of the 9-week summer, with no more than 1 of each per week, and an hour off daily.
Qualifications and Abilities
- Experience playing tennis in a formal setting; high school or college team experience preferred.
- Current certification in sports instruction or coaching, specifically in tennis, or documented training and experience.
- Significant organized experience in one or more of our key sports activities.
Able to perform physical aspects of the position, including:
- Working long hours in an active Sports Program.
- Identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
- Respond appropriately to situations requiring First Aid, and assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- 18 years of age as of the start of employment and eligible for work in the United States.
- 17 years of age for Junior Counselors.
- Meets state, federal, and ACA requirements for summer camp employment. Must pass a background check and provide other forms and details.
- Min. 1 year of college/university or completion of the Quinebarge CIT Leadership Program.
- Current certification in CPR and/or First Aid. This may be acquired onsite during staff training.
- Other certifications a plus ( Lifeguard, Wilderness First Aid).
- Desire to work with and inspire children in a summer camp environment.
Being a camp counselor at Camp Quinebarge is an incredibly fun and rewarding experience for someone who enjoys children and helping them grow and is a summer you will remember forever. It is also physically and emotionally demanding and not for everyone. Please consider both before applying. Camp Quinebarge is an Equal Opportunity Employer, a member of the New Hampshire Camp Directors Association, and accredited by the American Camp Association.