Hartford County 4-H Camp seeks a Summer Camp Director, for 12-weeks per Summer with some off-season time required.
Full details below:
Under the supervision of the Board of Trustees through its Assoc. Camp Director and Camp Administrator, the Camp Director is responsible for the operation of the camping program, in accordance with the mission and principles of the Hartford County 4-H Camp, Inc.
Specific Summer and Out of Season Duties:
- Provide continual compliance with (n) Sec 19-13-B27a State of Connecticut Youth Camps, Office of Early Childhood.
- Interact with Campers to ensure that their camp experience is safe, educational and fun
- With the aid of the Staff Procurement Committee, assist with the arrangements for job announcements, recruit, interview and recommend Staff for hire to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Maintain public relations and clear communications to parents, the Board of Trustees and community, by person, telephone, email or social networking, in a timely manner.
- Respond to critical incidents and act swiftly or immediately; in any emergency situation
- Monitor safety and procedures of all areas pertaining to the complete supervision of all Campers, Teen Counselors and Staff
- Arrange a Staff Evaluation of all employees, as often as needed, and the last week of camp.
- In collaboration with Assoc. Director supervise Staff & Teen Counselors to carry out daily activities.
- Maintain assigned living quarters except for operating costs, which shall be paid by the Camp. The aesthetics of living quarters or camp property shall not be altered without Board approval.
- Make an ongoing daily inspection of camp facilities to ensure camper, teen counselor, and staff’s well being, addressing any concerns requiring maintenance with the Caretaker or Summer Maintenance person. Advise the Camp Administrator of problems needing capital expenditures or major repairs.
- Carry out all duties as specified in the Camp Director Agreement.
- The Camp Director, along with the Associate Camp Director, shall make Staff and Teen Counselors cognizant of and be responsive to the issues/problems of Sexual Harassment and Drug and Alcohol abuse violations. Any violations shall be dealt with immediately and reported, in writing, to the Camp Administrator and the President of the Board of Trustees. See the Hartford County 4-H Camp’s Policy on Sexual Exploitation for further details. (The Drug/Alcohol and Tobacco Abuse Policy is referenced in the Staff Manual).
- Camp Director and Associate Camp Director must communicate well and work effectively and efficiently with each other as a strong leadership team. • Will work with the Teen Board Representatives to develop, implement and manage the Fall and Winter Teen Weekends.
- Oversees Kitchen including food quality, preparation, and cleanliness and has discussions with the Chef, as often as needed.
- Observe Water Quality of pond with the Waterfront Director and reports any concerns to Camp Admin/Caretaker/Building Maintenance chair person.
- Write a written report of the summer, for the September Board Meeting
- Provides monthly Reports to Camp Administrator, Secretary and President of the Board of Trustees for Monthly Board Meetings; attend meetings if possible.
Apply by: January 16 2017
Camp/Organization: Hartford County 4-H Camp
Location: Marlborough, CT
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Dependent on Experience
- Candidate must be 25 years or older
- Possess at least 5 years of supervisory experience in camping or Education/Training in camping/recreation or other related fields, would be accepted
- Ability to oversee the development of daily and special programs, with campers, staff and teen counselors
- Motivated self-starter that desires to work with youth ages 7-17, as well as college-age and adult staff
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience and self-control are a must
- Must possess excellent communication, supervisory, and leadership skills working with campers, families, teen counselors, staff, and alumni, as well as board members.
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications by staff training. Serve Safe certification preferred or be willing to acquire.
- Must possess the physical ability to lead, participate and oversee all camp activities with campers, teen counselors and adult staff, in all areas of the camp facility
- Must be computer literate with ideal candidate being familiar with MS Word & Social Media/networks.
- Must be available to work no less than 12 weeks during the summer camp season. Be available for Work Days; in fall and spring; Open House, in spring; Teen Weekends, both fall and winter; and participate as much as possible in monthly Board meetings, committees and special events hosted by the camp, in the off season. This could be via teleconference, when available.
With some year-round responsibilities needed.