Position Title: Camp Counselor
Reports to: Camp Director/Unit Director
We are also looking to hire a camp nurse, lifeguards, and fill director level positions in aquatics, waterfront, arts & crafts, and more.
- Arrive at camp by 8:30 a.m. and stay until 3:30 p.m. Note that a normal camp day begins at 8:30am and ends at 3:30pm, but hours will vary as needed. Monday morning, staff will arrive at 8am.
- Actively participate in all planned activity areas, including swimming.
- Prepare for and teach/lead activities, arts & crafts, nature hikes, etc…
- Assist/lead camp wide activities, rainy day activities, field trip activities, opening/closing activities. Sing songs, act in skits, make up stories, act appropriately silly and have fun!
- Be proactive, not reactive regarding all issues related to safety, planning, and counseling.
- Be responsible for communicating to the Camp Director/Assistant Director/Unit Director any conflict situations with children, staff, and/or families, and seek help when needed.
- Maintain rules as required by State license and assume role in camp emergency procedures.
- Maintain highest safety standards at all times.
- Keep all areas used clean, maintained and suitable for use by staff, campers and families.
- To act in a manner that promotes the core values and YMCA Mission.
- Attend daily staff meetings at 8:30am and 3:15pm.
- Attend Family Nights as scheduled, 5:30-7:30pm.
- All other duties as assigned.
Apply by: May 15 2016
Camp/Organization: YMCA Camp Mataucha (ACA Accredited)
Location: Watertown, CT
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: DOE, starts at about $55/day
- Actively run, jump, swim, and lift a minimum of 1/3 their own body weight.
- Frequently bend, twist, crouch, squat, kneel, climb stairs and flex and rotate head and neck.
- Occasionally crawl, push, pull, reach and lift above shoulders.
- Occasionally work on uneven ground and slippery surfaces.
- Use hands in repetitive motion, grasping and fine manipulation of both right and left hands.
- Withstand constant & repeated exposure to nature’s elements: rain, sun, wind, cold & heat.
If you’ve got what it takes to lead a group of children through games, crafts, and special activities, then we have the job for you. Our counselors love an active outdoor schedule, working with different age groups and other counselors. They take pride in helping children grow and develop spiritually, mentally and physically. You can bring your own special talent, whether it’s swimming, archery, sports, singing or dancing. You’ll need a desire to teach others, the energy to act silly, and attention to detail necessary to make a busy camp schedule work. You’ll work with some of the most dedicated and creative people on the planet; and the friendships you’ll make with the other counselors and camp leaders will last a lifetime.
Please visit www.campmataucha.org for more information and to download the staff application.