Founded in 1966, Hill House is an independent, non-profit community center serving the children of Boston. We have been the backyard in the city for thousands of families, and are dedicated to delivering a sense of community to Boston residents. Hill House offers programs, seasonal events and outreach initiatives to children, teenagers, adults and seniors—with emphasis on children ages 6 months-12 years. Please www.hillhouseboston.org to learn more.
Hill House is seeking energetic, focused and enthusiastic individuals who enjoy working with children ages 3-12 years for our 2018 Summer Camps. Our counselors have energy to spare, love to play, create, be animated and contagiously fun— all while maintaining a safe and nurturing environment for our campers. Two different positions are available throughout the summer.
Apply by: April 17 2018
Camp/Organization: Hill House Inc (ACA Accredited)
Location: Boston, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure that campers are safe at all times.
- Supervise campers in your group during all aspects of the day.
- Assist in teaching or leading activities.
- Maintain active participation with campers at all times.
- Identify and meet campers’ individual needs; seek assistance when necessary.
- Set a good example for campers by maintaining a good attitude; remember, you are a role model!
- Maintain positive and open relationships with campers, the staff team, and parents.
- Promote a healthy, safe, supportive and exciting camp environment.
- Have fun!
Qualifications and Skills
-Prior experience at camp a plus.
- Strong desire and proven ability to work with children in a camp setting.
- Ability to lead activities and supervise groups of 4-10 campers in your group.
- Ability to relate to campers and other staff as part of a team.
- Strong character including but not limited to a sense of humor, enthusiasm, maturity and patience.
- Possess unique skills or talents that will bring originality and excitement to the camp.
Day Camp Counselors
Day Camp Counselors work with 5-12 year olds and report to the Day Camp Team Leader. Day Camp Counselors ensure the safety of campers at all times, supervise and actively participate with campers in group during all aspects of day, assist in planning and leading activities, help out at the swimming pool and set an example for campers by maintaining a good attitude—all while keeping up the enthusiasm of 5-10 campers in a group.
Shifts vary through the summer from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm or 9:30 am-5:30 pm. Mandatory staff meetings are held every Wednesday from 4:00 to 4:30 pm.
Kiddie Kamp Counselors
Kiddie Kamp Counselors work with 3-5 year olds and report to the Kiddie Kamp Team Leader. Kiddie Kamp Counselors ensure the safety of campers at all times, lead morning activities, supervise play at the local spray deck, assist in the leading of activities, actively participate with campers in all aspects of their day and maintain positive and open relationships with campers, fellow staff and parents.
Hours are 8:00 am to 1:30 pm. Mandatory staff meetings are held every Thursday from 1:30 to 2:00 pm. All staff must be high school graduates, with solid experience working with children in a pre-school setting and a strong commitment to creating a safe and exciting summer camp experience.
Summer Dates For Day Camp staff, June 18-August 31, 2018 For Kiddie Kamp staff, June 18-August 24, 2018 (Camp will not be on on July 4. Staff will receive pro-rated pay for the four day work week for that week. ) Staff Training All hired summer staff must be available part-time for paid training during the week of June 11, 2018.