The Summer Camp Overnight Coordinator's main responsibility is to coordinate an overnight summer camp program for approximately 120 campers each week for 7 weeks of week-long (six day Sunday – Friday) camp programs. The Coordinator will train and supervise up to 20 staff members and 8 Junior Counselors per week. During the summer, the coordinator will carry out staff scheduling, program logistics, field trips, camping trips, and guest speakers. They will also oversee group orientation, staff meetings, communication between nursing staff, office staff, and act as a liaison for parents. Not to mention over all program quality. While camp is in session this person is on call 24 hours. The Overnight Coordinator is also responsible for pre-season duties that are more office base. Such as hiring and preparing for training, scheduling, program planning, trip scheduling, and purchasing equipment that would be used for the summer. The Coordinator will also assist in marketing, such as giving tours, going to camp fairs, and helping to coordinate the open house on campus. The Coordinator will be getting camp ready to open in the summer. This ranges from hiring the staff to answering parent questions.
Apply by: April 18 2015
Camp/Organization: W. Alton Jones Environmental Education Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: West Greenwich RI
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: $5250, included room and board (Free internet, cable, and laundry)
- Bachelor’s degree in education, environmental studies, outdoor recreation, or a related field; experience teaching children and adolescents; supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
- Successful applicants will have a thorough working knowledge of no-trace camping techniques.
- Red Cross certification or an acceptable equivalent in Standard First Aid and CPR is required. (Or you must demonstrate the ability to obtain these certifications before the summer.)
- Familiarity with environmental stewardship and outdoor activities (rock climbing, canoeing, kayaking etc.) preferred.
- Applicants must be 25 years old by July 1st.
- Pets (even goldfish!) are strictly forbidden.
- All final applicants will be subjected to a criminal background check
This individual will have excellent communication skills, great camp experience, a lot of previous experience working with camp, and have a demonstrated passion for the outdoors. This person will also have supervising experience, in addition to having experience scheduling and working with large groups of people.
This position runs from March 15th until August 21st.