This position is primarily responsible for working in a 1:1 or 1:2 setting with a child who has Special Needs.
The goal of the person in this person is helping to integrate the assigned child into the Day Camp Program.
Requires the ability to be creative in the integration of assigned camper (s); Good character, integrity, adaptability, enthusiastic, friendly and dependable; Achieve assigned camper (s) developmental objectives or Summer I.E.P. (Individual Education Program) goals.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
• Upon hiring will establish direct communications with Special Needs Coordinator and the parent(s) of the camper(s) with special needs.
• Have knowledge of the layout of the camp, its accessibility and challenges.
• Review case history of assigned camper(s) with special needs.
• Attend camp staff training, and keep a journal for communication between yourself and the parents.
• Be aware of the medical needs of assigned camper(s) example: prescribed medications, therapy, etc.
• Supervise and evaluate the appropriate integration of the assigned Special Needs camper responsible for the direct care of said child, example bathroom, dressing etc.
• Understand adaptive equipment and its care, of the assigned camper(s) with special needs.
• Contact Special Needs Coordinator when a health and safety problem occurs, or if the integration procedure for assigned camper needs evaluation.
• Make self available to Special Needs Coordinator and parents who may have concerns, comments or questions.
• Write progress reports, as requested by Special Needs Coordinator.
Apply by: March 5 2019
Camp/Organization: Naticook Day Camp / Merrimack Parks & Recreation (ACA Accredited)
Location: Merrimack, NH
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: $10.00 - $11.56/hr
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• Experience in an inclusive setting preferred
• Current CPR and first aid certificate preferred
• Desire and ability to work with children with disabilities in a camp setting
• Ability to plan, organize, initiate and carry out daily program of assigned camper(s) with disability
• Ability to be creative in the integration of assigned camper(s) with disability
• Good character, integrity, adaptability, enthusiastic, friendly and dependable
• At least 18 years of age
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Communicate with assigned camper(s) with special needs and others.
• Communicate and work with groups.
• Provide necessary integration instruction to staff and/or other campers.
• Achieve assigned camper’s developmental objectives or Summer I.E.P. (Individual Education Program) goals.
• Identify and respond to environmental and other hazards, related to assigned camper’s integrated activities.
• Be aware of the needs of other campers with disabilities.