To further the mission of BCH Camp by overseeing and managing our 2 senior camp programs:
- EDGE (9th – 12th): An adventure-based program for teens that includes frequent use of our ropes course, hiking, rock climbing, backpacking and paddling. Campers live in a tight-knit community focused on challenging personal and group limits.
- Base (10th – 12th): A theme-based program for teens that includes 4 unique sessions – Community Service Week, Music Art & Drama (MAD) Week, Summit (a 2-week session focused on leadership development) and You-Can’t-Do-That-At-Camp Week.
- Serve as a member of the Leadership Staff Team.
- Attend Leadership Staff Training (June 12th - 16th, 2017).
- Participate in daily Leadership Staff meetings.
- Communicate counselor or camper needs to the Assistant Camp Director.
- Inform Leadership Staff of any camper or staff concerns.
- Train EDGE facilitators and Base counselors in their responsibilities.
- Prior to camp, contact staff who will be assigned under your supervision.
- During all staff training (June 17th – 23rd), teach portions of the training content as determined by the Assistant Camp Director.
- Prepare in advance the content pertinent to the subjects you will be training.
- Oversee the safety and wellbeing of EDGE and Base campers.
- Assist those campers and staff who may need help fitting into camp atmosphere.
- Make connections with campers and ensure their happiness at camp.
- Oversee the behavior management strategies used with campers.
- Manage the timely resolution of issues that develop with counselors and/ or campers.
- Provide supervision, continued development and evaluation for EDGE facilitators and Base counselors.
- Provide on-going support and feedback; conduct regular informal evaluations.
- Conduct formal mid-summer and end-of-summer evaluations.
- Assist staff in setting objectives so they can meet expectations.
- Privately address issues with concerning staff members.
- Help ensure staff morale by seeing that staff get enough rest and time off.
- Provide coverage when necessary.
- Oversee, develop and evaluate the EDGE and Base camp programs.
- Be a present and visible member of both camp programs.
- Ensure the proper schedules are being followed and programs are being implemented.
- Provide ideas, creativity and insight for stagnant activities.
- Book trips and organize transportation.
- Design and lead the 2-week session for Base, “Summit.”
- Plan curriculum, organize volunteers, book and attend trips.
- Evaluate both programs and make changes where necessary.
- Make formal recommendations for the following camp season.
Apply by: January 28 2017
Camp/Organization: Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Greenfield, NH
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
- At least 2 years in a camp leadership or administrative role.
- Desire and ability to work with high-school aged youth (9th – 12th grades) in a camp setting.
- Experience working at a faith-based or religious organization.
- Experience with adventure programming.
- Ability to provide supervision and guidance to counselors.
- Experience and ability to creatively schedule programs, trips, facilities and staff.
- Passion for youth camping.
- Experience in teaching and training adults and children.
- Familiarity with and openness towards the Episcopalian faith and traditions.
- Ability to work long hours and be on-call during time-off.