This program head position runs the Junior Maine Guide camps.
- Plan logistics to execute established JMG curriculum (i.e. shelter building, fire starting, campfire cooking, tool use, tree identification, canoeing, and more)
- Provide engaging instruction of wilderness and bush-craft skills for campers grades 4th – 10th in a team-teaching environment
- Respond to individual camper needs (i.e. behavioral, social/emotional, disciplinary)
- Facilitate weekly group dynamics to ensure a safe and fun experience for all campers
- Orchestrate one Thursday overnight campout for the young teens
- Work with a team of leaders to maintain overall quality of camper (ages 5-15 yrs) experience.
Apply by: May 19 2017
Camp/Organization: Camp Beech Cliff (ACA Accredited)
Location: Mount Desert, Maine
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: $450 - $550/week
At least 21 years of age, enthusiasm for kids, personal initiative, organized, clear and honest communication skills, clean driving record, and ability to work with children of all backgrounds. Availability Mid June – end of August.
2+ years experience teaching outdoor/survival skills to kids
Never heard of the Junior Maine Guide Program? JMG is a long-established wilderness camping skills program sponsored by Maine Summer Camps and the Maine State Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. It is an outdoor skills program designed to foster enjoyable, safe and healthy outdoor living experiences for youth ages 9 – 18. JMG certification can lay the groundwork for later training and certification for a Maine Trip Leader permit, as well as provide a lifetime of enjoyment of living in concert with nature in the Maine wilderness. JMG uses current philosophies in outdoor living. Want to learn more? Visit this link http://mainecamps.org/junior-maine-guide/.