Camp Quinebarge is a traditional, overnight boys and girls summer camp lying on 70 acres of forest and over 1,200 feet of lakefront on Lake Kanasatka in Moultonborough, NH. Since 1936, Camp Quinebarge has fostered an environment for children to learn about themselves and the world around them, try new activities and learn new skills, have fun, and make friendships that last a lifetime.
At Quinebarge, counselors lead program activities as well as live in and supervise their assigned cabin of campers. During activity periods, counselors are responsible for their activity areas and for the group of campers assigned for that hour; most other times, they are with their cabin. Senior staff spend some of their time in the office, but most of their day is spent out and about, supervising activities or cabin time, resolving issues, and support counseling staff.
A member of the Senior Staff Leadership Team, the purpose of the Program Director(s) is to further the mission of the camp through the planning and delivery of program activities and events; design and deliver program activities that are safe, fun, and appropriate to the campers’ age and abilities; and assist in the management of the overall camp operation at the direction of the camp director.
Job Dates: Approximately June 9 - August 18
How to Apply: To apply for this or other positions at Camp Quinebarge, please visit campquinebarge.com/staff.
Program Director Job Functions
- Deliver a fun program to campers and CIT
- Ensure that camp staff and campers know and follow safety and educational procedures during
- camp programs.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in all program areas.
- Supervise and evaluate activity counselors to develop and implement all facets of camp program activities.
- Develop and implement schedules and records for all areas of camp program and facilities.
- Assist with the implementation of the CIT Leadership Program.
- Responsible for all scheduling, including helping campers select and sign up for their activities
- weekly and posting/distributing schedules weekly. This includes coordinating with the
- Waterfront Director on swim times.
- Responsible for scheduling, organizing and executing Evening Activities, Camp Fires, Nightly
- Cabin Sleep Outs, Candle Pass subjects, Special Activities, Color Wars, Monkeytown ....
- Ensure daily activities are well-run, staff are engaged with the campers, activity areas are
- cleaned daily or hourly, activities are running on time and implementing the agreed upon
- Schedule staff days off, ensuring activities and cabins maintain adequate coverage.
- Should be constantly visiting each activity area (hourly) and providing feedback, supervision and mentoring to the staff ensuring a smooth operation.
- Meet with activity staff weekly to discuss and agree to the next week's schedule (arts and crafts projects, horseback riding trail days, field sports, etc.).
- Assist cabin staff with issues they may be facing with campers or themselves.
- Ensure each camper is having a positive experience, making friends and adjusting well to
- overnight camp life.
- Manage any disciplinary issues facing campers or staff.
- Manage daily cabin inspection.
- Meet with staff (weekly, bi weekly) to provide feedback and review staff performance, strengths
- and areas for improvement.
Equipment used includes activity equipments including sports, crafts, and waterfront equipment; office
supplies and equipment including a computer; digital camera; and other equipment as the need arises.
Other Job Duties:
- Attend administrative staff meetings.
- Maintain clear and positive written and verbal communication with all camp staff.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to those
- assigned as leaders.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs,
- special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Provide ongoing program ideas to counseling and activity area staff.
- Assist with evening Admin Duty.
Apply by: March 31 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Quinebarge (ACA Accredited)
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Camp Quinebarge offers a competitive salary, room and board, leadership and other training, weekly laundry, camp t-shirts, free camper tuition, and the opportunity to participate in trips and onsite events. Staff are eligible for performance bonuses. Staff members receive 7 days off and 9 evenings off over the course of the 9-week summer, with no more than 1 of each per week, and an hour off daily.
Qualifications and Abilities
- Experience in an administrative or supervisory role in a similar environment
- Experience in the development and delivery of programs and activities for similar population.
Able to perform physical aspects of the position, including:
- Work long hours in an active camp program
- Identify and respond to environmental and other hazards
- Respond appropriately to situations requiring First Aid, and assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- 21+ with valid Driver’s License and clean driving record preferred.
- Meets state, federal, and ACA requirements for summer camp employment. Must pass a background check and provide other forms and details.
- Min. 2 year of college/university or completion of the Quinebarge CIT Leadership Program.
- Current certification in CPR and/or First Aid. This may be acquired onsite during staff training.
- Other certifications a plus (High Ropes/Wall, Lifeguard, Wilderness First Aid).
- Desire to work with and inspire children in a summer camp environment.
Being a camp counselor at Camp Quinebarge is an incredibly fun and rewarding experience for someone who enjoys children and helping them grow and is a summer you will remember forever. It is also physically and emotionally demanding and not for everyone. Please consider both before applying. Camp Quinebarge is an Equal Opportunity Employer, a member of the New Hampshire Camp Directors Association, and accredited by the American Camp Association.