Dates of Employment: June 9th – July 28th, 2017
Reports to: Camp Director
Position Purpose: To further the mission of the BCH Camp through the oversight of programs and co-management of camp operations.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervise and evaluate leadership team members including the Activities Coordinator, Waterfront Director, Day Camp Director and Junior Counselor/Squad Director.
- Provide consistent and on-going feedback, support and guidance.
- Assist with management of programs and activities.
- Regularly monitor the work of leadership staff.
- Regularly monitor the work of program heads (with the Activities Coordinator).
- Provide recommendations and concerns to camp director regarding leadership team members’ performance.
- Run weekly Leadership Team meetings.
- Work closely with Activities Coordinator to oversee program development.
- Program Areas (archery, arts & crafts, drama, nature, dance, sports, ropes course)
- Evening Programs
- Service Projects
- Staff Time Off
- Camp Store
- Unit Night
- Co-lead All Staff Training.
- Develop schedule and workshops during leadership staff training.
- Support leadership staff in their planning of workshops.
- Lead specific workshops – daily schedules, rainy day plans, program area rotation, campfire songs and skits, “back pocket” games, unit night planning and more.
- Oversee the daily operation of the summer camp.
- Responsible for weekly schedules (service projects, staff time off, camp store, program areas and more).
- Responsible for program staffing (with Activities Coordinator).
- Provide staff with weekly resources – feedback forms, pack-out slips, activity ideas etc.
- Help with administrative and programmatic tasks as needed. Carry the on-call phone in case of parent emergencies.
- Regularly meet with staff.
Other Job Duties
- Attend daily administrative staff meetings (with Camp Director, Program Director and Head Chaplain).
- Attend weekly leadership staff meetings (with above positions + Unit Directors, Day Camp Coordinator, Waterfront Director and Junior Counselor Director).
- Maintain clear and positive verbal and written communication with all camp staff.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Bring campers and staff to the hospital, as needed.
The Program Director is considered “second in command” alongside the Assistant Camp Director and Head Chaplain. When the Camp Director is absent, administrative staff members are in charge. The Program Director also supervises the Waterfront Director, the Day Camp Coordinator, Junior Counselor/Squad Director and the Activities Coordinator.
- At least 3 years of experience in a camp leadership or administrative role.
- College degree preferred.
- Experience in the development and delivery of programs for youth.
- Experience working at a faith-based or religious organization.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Passion for youth camping.
- Experience in teaching and training adults and children.
- Familiarity with and openness towards the Episcopalian faith and traditions.
- Ability to work long hours and be on-call during time-off.
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Ability to observe staff behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Apply by: May 26 2017
Camp/Organization: Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Greenfield, New Hampshire
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal