Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA) serves thousands of girls in grades K-12 and works in partnership with thousands of adult volunteers. It is also a great place to work!
Every summer, girls arrive to summer camp excited for new experiences. GSEMA is currently looking for a dedicated and qualified Program Counselor-Waterfront for Camp Favorite for our 2018 summer camp season.
The purpose of this position is to work with a group of girls to plan and implement a safe, individualized, and well-rounded camp program. To assist with implementing all phases of a camp waterfront program.
Training will be provided (American Red Cross Waterfront Certification). Must be able to work the entire season. Comfort guarding and swimming in lakes.
• Lives and works as a team with other unit staff in the leadership responsibilities of the unit such as caring for the children, making schedules, assisting with cookouts, and leading program activities.
• Guides girls in the planning and implementation of general and specific programming of the unit, including program activities, leadership development, self-esteem building, community service, and more.
• Teaches swimming, diving, water safety, lifesaving, boating, windsurfing, and stand up paddle-boarding classes to girls of various levels and ages. Classes occur both on and off the water and include inclement weather lesson plans.
• Assists with waterfront responsibilities such as boat and equipment maintenance, free swims, and other waterfront logistics as scheduled with the Waterfront Director.
• Enforces and follows the waterfront safety standards.
• Participates in the general camp program when requested.
• Maintains good public relations and healthy communication with campers, their parents, fellow staff, and the community in person and online.
• Participates in pre-camp training, and assists in the opening and closing of camp.
• Maintains accurate, up to date records, submits reports and evaluations on time as requested.
• Responsible for the health and safety of all campers through modeling proper behaviors and practices, and reporting of accidents or issues beyond ones skill level to the appropriate staff person.
• Assists in camp cleanliness, cares for camp property and equipment, asks for materials when needed, and reports any camp repairs in a timely manner.
• All other duties as assigned
Apply by: June 25 2018
Camp/Organization: Camp Favorite/Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Brewster, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
It is a requirement of the State of Massachusetts Public Health Department that all lifeguards when on duty shall wear a bright red or bright orange bathing suit. Any shirt or jacket worn as an outer garment by a lifeguard shall also be red or bright orange and have the word GUARD printed in 4” lettering on the back. An orange hat or sun helmet shall be worn when on duty (105 CMR 435.23)_
Skills and Qualifications:
• Familiar with Girl Scout program.
• Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
• Ability to teach swimming and boating classes to children of all ages and abilities.
• Ability to work within the camp environment.
• Acceptance of all people and ability to work with girls and adults of various races, religions, and national origins.
• Able to lead and teach children new and familiar activities in the outdoors.
• Desire and ability to work with children ages 7-17 in the outdoors.
• Ability to accept supervision and guidance from peers.
• Current Lifeguarding certification from an accepted provider.
• Current CPR and First Aid certifications from an accepted provider. (Training can be provided)
• At least 18 years of age or graduated high school by June.
Physical Demands: The physical demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk on varied terrain, swim, paddle in canoes or kayaks, play games with campers and talk or hear.
• Specific vision ability required by this job is the ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. Ability to differentiate colors helpful.
• Must be able to lift a maximum of 40 pounds on a regular basis.
The work environment an employee is exposed to while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work may be indoors or outdoors and may be hot, humid, rainy or cool weather.
• Work will be during daytime, evening, and overnight hours.