TOWN OF MERRIMACK, NH PARKS & RECREATION DEPARTMENT PROGRAM COORDINATOR - FULL TIME
The Recreation Program Coordinator is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of a diverse year-round recreation program (including an ACA Accredited Summer Camp). This will include planning, organizing, implementing, supervising, and evaluating activities and events to meet the needs of the community.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED Works under the general supervision of the Director of Parks & Recreation who outlines general policies, assign duties and review work for conformance with required standards; performs regular duties on own initiative, exercising a high degree of judgment and tact.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED No direct reports. The position provides general, functional supervision (daily oversight) and coordination of the work of program volunteers, instructors, contractors, and regular or seasonal camp staff, as assigned. Incumbent is not responsible for hiring, firing, discipline, or performance management, but may be called upon to provide recommendations to the Parks and Recreation Director in these areas.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Plans, develops, implements, and evaluates year-round activities and events for the Department.
• Develops new recreational activities to meet the needs of the community, while enhancing existing programs.
• Provides leadership and general supervision of family programs, parents night out, school vacation week programs and others in house programs as assigned.
• Works to recruit and supervise independent contractors to provide recreational programs for the Department.
• Assists the Director of Parks & Recreation in the development and implementation of a wide variety of community special events including; but not limited to the Annual Halloween Party, Turkey Scavenger Hunt, Holiday Parade & Tree Lighting, Winter Carnival, Easter Egg Hunt, Murder Mystery Dinner, Earth Day Community Clean Up, Summer Concert Series and Movies in the Park.
• Plans and develops the logistics of the Camp Trek program and assists in the training of the Camp Trek Coordinator.
• Assists the Director of Parks & Recreation with recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff and volunteers for department programs, activities and special events.
• Monitors conditions, needs, and trends affecting recreation programs and facilities. Attends meetings and conferences required to keep up with trends.
• Meets with community groups to gather ideas and discuss plans.
• Creates program records such as contracts, schedules and payroll documentation to ensure they are accurate, up-to-date, and properly filed.
• Coordinates and reserves all indoor and outdoor facility space for department programs, activities, and special events; helps prioritize field space and building use.
• Manages social media marketing for department programs and events including press releases, social media outreach, department email lists and program guides.
• Maintains office coverage to handle registrations, inquiries, requests, and complaints from the public regarding recreation programs and facilities bookings.
• Carries out customer service related activities including answering questions through phone, email and contacts through social media.
• Helps customers navigate online registration system as needed.
• Maintains program and participation records, and other associated records and documents to monitor program effectiveness.
• Responsible for developing and ordering supplies for assigned programs while following approved program budget.
• Assists in preparing the annual department budget and recommends program expenditures.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
The normal work schedule is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday with some nights, weekends and holiday required.
Apply by: July 31 2018
Camp/Organization: Naticook Day Camp / Merrimack Parks & Recreation (ACA Accredited)
Location: Merrimack, NH
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Year Round
Salary: The starting wage for this position is $18.28 – 19.00/hr., with a wage increase up to 5% upon successful completion of 6 month trial period.
• Duties require knowledge of Recreation Program and event Planning equivalent to 1 to 3 years of related experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of modern recreation practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Experience with Microsoft Office applications.
• Experience working with RecDesk registration software (preferred), Constant Contact, Facebook/Instagram and other social media platforms.
• Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
• Certification in CPR/AED and Standard First Aid or willing to obtain.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, ABILITIES
• Ability to learn departmental rules, procedures, and functions,
• Ability to maintain accurate records and handle multiple projects, deal with interruptions, adjust and schedule priorities as required, meet deadlines, and work independently.
• The ability to establish, build and maintain professional relationships with other employees, civic groups and the general public and to lead and instruct youth, adults, and seniors in a variety of recreational activities.
• This position requires the projection of a positive attitude, a pleasant demeanor, and a commitment to service to the public and the ability to work independently and as a member of a team
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively through writing, email, and telephone and to maintain confidentiality of departmental information.
• Ability to work evening, weekend, and occasional holiday hours as required during certain times of the year.
Please visit www.merrimacknh.gov/jobs to view the full job description. The successful candidate will undergo a complete background check including reference checks, criminal and driving record checks prior to final offer of employment. Please visit website above or the HR Office located at 6 Baboosic Lake Road, Merrimack, NH, 03054 to obtain a Town application. To apply, submit your resume, cover letter, and Town application to the above address or email to email@example.com no later than Monday, June 25, 2018, at 4:00pm. EOE