Camp Quinebarge is a traditional, overnight boys and girls summer camp lying on 70 acres of forest and over 1,200 feet of lakefront on Lake Kanasatka in Moultonborough, NH. Since 1936, Camp Quinebarge has fostered an environment for children to learn about themselves and the world around them, try new activities and learn new skills, have fun, and make friendships that last a lifetime.
At Quinebarge, counselors lead program activities as well as live in and supervise their assigned cabin of campers. During activity periods, counselors are responsible for their activity areas and for the group of campers assigned for that hour; most other times, they are with their cabin. As a photographer you will generally not be directly in charge of campers during the activity periods, instead focusing on taking photos and videos. Photographers are considered counselors and are assigned to camper cabins.
Our camp photographer is in charge of taking 200-300 quality photographs each day to post in our private photo group for parents. During activity periods, the photographer takes photos and videos at the activities, which he or she then uploads to the group. Posting a large number of high quality photos of the campers is crucial, as it is parents’ main connection to their children while they are at Quinebarge. Seeing their children having fun, smiling, and making friends each day helps parents feel comfortable, knowing that their children are not only in good hands, but that they are having the summer of a lifetime.
Job Dates: Approximately June 15 - August 18
How to Apply: To apply for this or other positions at Camp Quinebarge, please visit campquinebarge.com/staff.
Photographer Job Functions
- Take photos at every activity, every hour, focusing on action shots and camper close-ups.
- Take photos at Evening Activities, meals, and special events and trips.
- Use drone to take aerial photo and video footage.
- Export photos to computer daily and maintain organized and backed up digital files.
- Edit photos for social media and/or marketing use.
- Post photos to Facebook group by 6:00 pm every day.
- Create and edit 2-5 minute videos to post on social media weekly.
Equipment used includes DSLR style camera, GoPro, and drone, provided by camp, and related equipment including a computer. Photographers may bring their own DSLR camera if desired.
Cabin Counselor Duties
Photographers are part of the counseling staff, and will be assigned to live in a cabin with 4-12 campers and one or more co-counselors. Cabins are the very base of life at Camp; campers live in their cabins with children of their own age and it is where most bonding occurs. A cabin counselor is more than a supervisor or babysitter; he creates a bond with his cabin, mentors and inspires campers, and handles minor issues that arise. A camper spends more time with his cabin counselors than with any other adult on camp, and can be most impacted by him for that reason. We want to create friendships, foster growth and independence, and make sure our campers have the best summer experience possible.
Cabin counselors lead all aspects of cabin life, including morning cabin cleanup, bedtime routine, and nightly Candle Pass, as well as spend time with their campers during Rest Period and special events. Each cabin goes on at least one adventure per session - a trip and/or campout on camp or offsite, where cabins laugh, sing, tell stories, and become even closer. In the unlikely event that a counselor is assigned to staff housing, she is still assigned to a cabin and is expected to fully participate as a member of that cabin, only sleeping elsewhere.
Cabin Counselor Job Functions
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading activities as assigned.
- Supervise, mentor, and leading a cabin of 4-12 campers.
- Mentor any CIT assigned to the cabin.
- Perform other general counselor duties, including but not limited to meal supervision, Night Duty, assisting with trips, and other duties as they arise.
Other duties may arise and be assigned by the Directors or other Senior Staff. These may include planning or setting up for special events, acting as a secondary leader for small offsite trips, covering other program or cabin areas, and more.
Apply by: January 30 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Quinebarge (ACA Accredited)
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Camp Quinebarge offers a competitive salary, room and board, leadership and other training, weekly laundry, camp t-shirts, free camper tuition, and the opportunity to participate in trips and onsite events. Staff are eligible for performance bonuses. Staff members receive 7 days off and 9 evenings off over the course of the 9-week summer, with no more than 1 of each per week, and an hour off daily.
Qualifications and Abilities
- Photography skills and experience.
- Educational experience such as photography major/minor or professional experience preferred.
Able to perform physical aspects of the position, including:
- Work long hours in an active Program.
- Identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
- Respond appropriately to situations requiring First Aid, and assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury).
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- 18 years of age as of the start of employment and eligible for work in the United States.
- 17 years of age for Junior Counselors.
- 21+ with valid Driver’s License and clean driving record preferred.
- Meets state, federal, and ACA requirements for summer camp employment. Must pass a background check and provide other forms and details
- Min. 1 year of college/university or completion of the Quinebarge CIT Leadership Program.
- Current certification in CPR and/or First Aid. This may be acquired onsite during staff training.
- Other certifications a plus (High Ropes/Wall, Lifeguard, Wilderness First Aid).
- Desire to work with and inspire children in a summer camp environment.
Being a camp counselor at Camp Quinebarge is an incredibly fun and rewarding experience for someone who enjoys children and helping them grow and is a summer you will remember forever. It is also physically and emotionally demanding and not for everyone. Please consider both before applying. Camp Quinebarge is an Equal Opportunity Employer, a member of the New Hampshire Camp Directors Association, and accredited by the American Camp Association.