The Manice Education Center operates several distinctly different seasonal programs focusing on highly engaging opportunities for junior and senior high school youth from New York City in environmental education, wilderness expeditions, and leadership training from May through October. The Center is located on a 150 acre forested campus, surrounded by 14,000 acres of protected state forests boasting mountain streams, rivers, ponds and diverse wildlife. In the heart of the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts, this is a phenomenal setting for nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers to enjoy a pristine wilderness playground, alongside music, arts, and festivities in nearby college towns. Outdoor Educators in the spring/fall school programs will facilitate 3-day school chaperoned field trips at MEC for our partner NYC public schools. Staff at the Manice Education Center work closely together in a supportive atmosphere and teach small, coed groups of 10-12 youth in a variety of outdoor settings. Each school trip will engage in hikes to a summit with a view of 4 states, an 80-foot cascading waterfall, a unique bog ecosystem, and a llama farm.
- Facilitate challenge course activities designed to focus on teamwork, communication, leadership skills, trust, and social development
- Lead nighttime hikes to see the stars and magic of bioluminescence
- Celebrate with skits, drumming, and s’mores at our campfire program—rain or shine in a gazebo surrounded by forest—that can seat the entire campus
- Inspire curiosity about our natural world through inquisitive discovery based activities in our natural surroundings
- Supervise youth overnight in canvas, cabin style tents on platforms
- Mentor, support, and empower assistant outdoor educators.
Educators in our Summer Programs lead Wilderness Expeditions:
- 6 backpacking and/or canoeing trips ranging form 2-5 days in length
- Hike on the Appalachian and Long Trail networks
- Paddle pristine lakes and rivers in Southern New England
- All educators receive hands-on training in the delivery of an experientially driven curriculum, challenge course training and challenge course facilitation experience, and ongoing professional development as an outdoor and environmental educator
- Summer training in June provides: Wilderness First Aid, CPR, AED, Anaphylaxis Care, Waterfront Lifeguarding, Professional Canoe Skill Clinic, Overnight Backpacking & Camping Skills Training Position
- Spring Chaperoned School Field Trip Program: 4-13 to 6-10-16
- Seasonal Summer Camp Backcountry Expedition Program: 6-13 to 8-28-16 MEC offers on 6-11-16 a SOLO Wilderness First Aid and Red Cross CPR Certification Courses before the start of summer training.
- Fall Chaperoned School Field Trip Program: 9-6 to 10-29-16 Qualified applicants can work any combination of the spring, summer, and/or fall seasons.
- Competitive weekly salary, lodging, & excellent food service
- Access to wilderness equipment, and outdoor equipment discounts.
- Enjoy living in a unique outdoor setting, and be a part of a one hundred-year tradition of developing a constructive, supportive community through hard work, play, and dedication to our mission
- Outdoor Educators work as Outdoor Education Residential Camp Counselors
Apply by: May 10 2016
Camp/Organization: Christodora-Manice Education Center
Location: Town of Florida, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Adventurous spirit, willingness to learn, passion for the outdoors, and enjoys connecting with urban youth
- Experience in outdoor education & leadership training
- Experience working with urban school groups (field trip program)
- Experience with wilderness navigation (summer)
- BA/BS in related discipline preferred
- Significant professional experience considered
- Field Trip Program: Current First Aid and CPR certifications
- Summer Program: Wilderness First Aid and CPR certifications or the ability & commitment to successfully obtain during certification courses offered onsite in June.
- Waterfront Lifeguard Certification preferred, or ability obtain during onsite certification courses offered in June
Spanish/English Bilingual a plus Valid driver’s license preferred Background clearances and medical physical required Initial drug screening may be required TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and 3 reference contacts (feel free to add wilderness, leadership, and education portfolios) to Matthew Scholl, M.E.C. Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Or mail to: M.E.C. 68 Savoy Road, Florida, MA 01247 Or Fax: 413.663.5399