Joppa Flats Summer Camp is all about outdoor exploration, play in nature, hands-on science, cooperation and inclusivity, and experiential learning for our campers ages 6-11. Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature. It’s a lot of hard work, but we like to think it’s the best, most fun and rewarding work to be doing! Please be sure to visit www.massaudubon.org/joppaflatscamp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
Joppa Flats Education Center seeks an enthusiastic lead counselor for its nature-based day camp for children ages 6 to 11. This particular lead counselor position is responsible for our older campers, ages 9 to 11, known as “Trekkers.” With the support of the Camp Director, lead counselors collaborate with each other and their supporting nature education counselors to create hands-on, engaging and fun natural history activities, using weekly habitat and wildlife themes as inspiration. Your Trekkers group will often come together with the younger campers, Explorers (ages 6-8), for some games, lunch and some field trips. Therefore, you will also need to be comfortable working with younger children and always as a team player with other camp staff.
Provided, mandatory training will include risk management, childhood development, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, lesson planning, and a three-day, two-night field school experience at Mass Audubon’s Camp Wildwood.
Schedule: 40.5 hours/week, Mondays - Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm, excluding Wednesdays which are 8:00am-4:30pm
Training and Planning Weeks: June 11-15 and 18-22, 2018
*Overnight field school at Camp Wildwood is June 11-13 Camp Weeks: June 25-August 17
*Camp is closed on the 4th of July
• Be the lead in running activities and taking Explorers on local field trips, a maximum of 15 campers
• With the Trekker lead counselor (ages 6-8), keep daily plans organized and well-communicated between the whole staff.
• Be responsible for the health and safety of campers – with the support of the Camp Director and co-workers - while at Joppa Flats Education Center and multiple off-site field trips each week.
• Drive campers in a mini-van and administer first aid to campers when necessary.
• Keep track of your group’s lesson and activity plans and camp materials. You are considered the point person for keeping your group’s plans organized.
• Act as a positive role model for children, mentoring their growth as individuals and as caretakers of the Earth.
• Administer first aid when necessary and help to maintain accurate records and communication chains of camper care.
• Other duties as assigned.
Apply by: April 6 2018
Camp/Organization: Mass Audubon - Joppa Flats Summer Camp (ACA Accredited)
Location: Newburyport, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
• Be enthusiastic.
• Have the ability and willingness to think on their feet and adapt to dynamic, changeable camp days and demonstrate leadership in everyday problem-solving.
• Be at least 20 years of age.
• Have teaching experience (formal or informal) related to local habitats, wildlife and/or ecology.
• Have an interest in and understanding of children, and a desire to share outdoor experiences with them.
• Have the ability to work both cooperatively and independently to design and implement nature-based activities, including games and crafts.
• Be certified in CPR/First Aid/AED for Children and Adults by the start of camp.
• Be capable of leading local field trips with an assistant counselor and/or teen volunteers independent of the Camp Director, for groups of up to 16 campers. This responsibility includes driving campers in a mini-van. Familiarity with green spaces in the Essex County and Cape Ann area is a plus.
• Be comfortable working largely outside and willing to handle sun and bugs. Hiking and/or paddling experience is a plus.
• Valid driver’s license required and, have at 2 years of experience as a licensed driver
• Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s)
• Lifeguard Certification or Small Watercraft /Canoe Safety and Rescue Certification is a plus.
• Paddling experience is a plus.
How to Apply: Please email, fax or post your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: Kirsten Lindquist, Camp Director firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: (978) 462-4143 Joppa Flats Education Center 1 Plum Island Turnpike Newburyport, MA 01950 Electronic documents are accepted in Word or PDF format only. Links and Google files will not be considered, for security reasons. Hard copy is welcome by mail or fax.