Joppa Flats Summer Camp is all about outdoor exploration, play in nature, hands-on science, cooperation and inclusivity, and experiential learning for our campers ages 6-11. Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature. It’s a lot of hard work, but we like to think it’s the best, most fun and rewarding work to be doing!
Please be sure to visit www.massaudubon.org/joppaflatscamp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
Joppa Flats Education Center seeks enthusiastic nature education counselors for its nature-based day camp for children ages 6 to 11. They will collaborate closely as a team and under the lead of the Camp Director and Trekker/Explorer lead counselors on curriculum development, planning and running of activities.
Provided, mandatory training will include risk management, childhood development, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, lesson planning, and a three-day, two-night field school experience at Mass Audubon’s Camp Wildwood.
Schedule: 40.5 hours/week, Mondays - Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm, excluding Wednesdays which are 8:00am-4:30pm
Training and Planning Weeks: June 11-15 and 18-22, 2018
*Overnight field school at Camp Wildwood is June 11-13 Camp Weeks: June 25-August 17
*Camp is closed on the 4th of July
• Actively participate in activity planning and the brainstorming of new camp activity ideas
• Assist lead counselors with preparing lessons and activities
• Help facilitate activities during the camp day, taking lead on some activities as needed.
• Supervise and engage meaningfully with campers to maintain a positive camp environment
• Support lead counselors and the Camp Director in safeguarding the health and well-being of the group while at Joppa Flats Education Center and on multiple off-site field trips each week.
• Drive a mini-van with up to 6 campers for our field trips
• Act as a positive role model for children, mentoring their growth as individuals and as caretakers of the Earth.
• Administer first aid when necessary and help to maintain accurate records and communication chains of camper care.
• Other duties as assigned.
Apply by: April 6 2018
Camp/Organization: Mass Audubon - Joppa Flats Summer Camp (ACA Accredited)
Location: Newburyport, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
• Be enthusiastic and excited about learning
• Have the ability and willingness to think on their feet and adapt to dynamic, changeable camp days.
• Be at least 20 years of age.
• Have a genuine interest in, and understanding of, children. Patience and sense of humor is a must!
• Have the ability to work both cooperatively and independently.
• Have a strong interest in nature and a desire to share it with children. Experience is a plus.
• Be certified in First Aid/CPR/AED for Children and Adults by the first day of camp
• Be comfortable working largely outside and willing to handle sun and bugs.
• Valid driver’s license required and, have at 2 years of experience as a licensed driver
• Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s)
• Certification in lifeguarding or small watercraft/canoe safety and rescue is a plus, though not required.
• Paddling experience is a plus, though not required.
How to Apply: Please email, fax or post your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to: Kirsten Lindquist, Camp Director email@example.com Fax: (978) 462-4143 Joppa Flats Education Center 1 Plum Island Turnpike Newburyport, MA 01950 Electronic documents are accepted in Word or PDF format only. Links and Google files will not be considered, for security reasons. Hard copy is also welcome by mail or fax.