Fessenden Day Camp Aquatics Staff (Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor)
- Using the Red Cross Learn-to-Swim Program, teach fun and meaningful swimming lessons.
- Evaluate campers in your swim lessons and complete necessary paperwork.
- Uphold all policies and philosophies of the Fessenden Day Camp.
- Communicate and work with a variety of age and skill levels.
- Be part of daily check of pool area and equipment for cleanliness and safety concerns.
- Complete job assigned as needed (Chlorine/pH Testing, Equipment, Lane Lines, AED)
- Supervise all swimming activities and enforce pool rules.
- Guide campers and CITs in participating successfully and appropriately in all aspects of swimming activities.
- Set a good example for campers and coworkers in all areas, including but not limited to accountability, fairness, organization, cleanliness, punctuality, following the rules, and sportsmanship.
- Assist in emergency procedures and complete any necessary related paperwork.
- Available 8:45am-4:00pm, Monday – Friday for the entire camp season (all 8 weeks) and to attend all staff training sessions before and during camp season.
- Participate in and assist in running camp events and initiatives.
- Communicate and work with groups and provide necessary instruction to campers.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Meet/communicate regularly with direct superior regarding concerns, updates, challenges, and successes.
- Ability to communicate with parents about their child when necessary and appropriate.
- High activity including swimming, jumping, diving, and may include dancing and running.
- Occasional lifting, bending, and climbing stairs
- Frequent talking, listening, walking, sitting, and standing.
Apply by: May 26 2017
Camp/Organization: Fessenden Day Camp (ACA Accredited)
Location: West Newton, MA
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Current certifications in Lifeguarding and CPR/AED/First Aid by a nationally recognized organization.
- Water Safety Instructor certification is strongly recommended.
- Must be 17 years of age or older.
- Pass a MA State run background check including a CORI and SORI.
- Demonstrate lifeguard and swimming skills including proficiency in all strokes, swimming 500 yards, rescues, removals, CPR and first aid.
- Must possess the visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camp and swimming activities.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience as a lifeguard at a pool or waterfront.
- Experience working with children from a variety of age and skill levels.
- Experience teaching swimming to a variety of age and skill levels.
- Desire and ability to supervise, lead, and positively manage campers and work with staff in a cooperative, team-oriented camp atmosphere.
- Possess excellent character, integrity, adaptability, patience, self-control, enthusiasm, and a sense of humor.