Lead Nature Education Counselor - Trekkers
Location: Newburyport, MA
Sanctuary: Joppa Flats Education Center
About Joppa Flats Summer Camp: Joppa Flats Summer Camp emphasizes nature study, group cooperation, and experiential learning, and fun outdoors. Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature. It’s a lot of hard work, but we like to think it’s the best, most fun and rewarding work to be doing!
Please be sure to visit www.massaudubon.org/joppaflatscamp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
Job Description: Joppa Flats Education Center seeks an enthusiastic lead counselor for its nature-based day camp for children ages 6 to 13. This particular lead counselor position is responsible for our older campers ages 9 to 11, known as “Trekkers,” during the bulk of the camp season. You will also co-lead the final camp session for our 11 to 13 year old “Nature Questers” with the Camp Director, assuming adequate camper enrollment.
Provided, mandatory training will include risk management, childhood development, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, lesson planning, and a three-day, two-night field school experience at Mass Audubon’s Camp Wildwood.
Schedule: 40 hours/week, Mondays - Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm, except for Nature Questers session (see below)
Training and Planning Weeks: June 12 – 23, 2017
*Overnight field school at Camp Wildwood is June 13-15
Trekkers Camp Weeks: June 26– August 18, 2017
*Camp IS in session on the 4th of July.
Nature Questers Camp Week: August 21-25, 2017
- Mon: 8:00am – 4:30pm
- Tues: 7:15am – 5:30pm
- Wed: 7:45am start, overnighting at Camp Wildwood
- Thurs: overnighting at Camp Wildwood
- Fri: camp ends for staff at 4:45pm
*Estimated paid hours: 64
- With the support of the Camp Director, lead counselors collaborate with each other and their supporting counselors to create hands-on, engaging and fun natural history activities, using weekly habitat and wildlife themes as inspiration.
- Be the lead in running activities and taking Trekkers on local field trips with the direct support of an assistant counselor.
- Be responsible for the health and safety of groups of up to 10 children – with the support of the Camp Director and co-workers - while at Joppa Flats Education Center and multiple off-site field trips each week.
- Drive campers in a mini-van and administer first aid to campers when necessary.
- Keep track of your group’s lesson and activity plans and camp materials. You are considered the point person for keeping your group’s plans organized.
- Your Trekkers group will often come together with the younger campers, Explorers (ages 6-8), for some games, lunch and some field trips. Therefore, you will also need to be comfortable working with younger children periodically and always as a team player with multiple other camp staff.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Have the ability and willingness to think on their feet and adapt to dynamic, changeable camp days and demonstrate leadership in everyday problem-solving.
- Be at least 19 years of age.
- Have teaching experience (formal or informal) related to local habitats, wildlife and/or ecology.
- Have an interest in and understanding of children, and a desire to share outdoor experiences with them.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively and independently to design and implement nature-based activities, including games and crafts.
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid/AED for Children and Adults by the start of camp.
- Be capable of leading local field trips with an assistant counselor and/or teen volunteers independent of the Camp Director, for groups of up to 16 campers. This responsibility includes driving campers in a mini-van. Familiarity with green spaces in the Essex County and Cape Ann area is ideal.
- Be comfortable working largely outside and willing to handle sun and bugs. Camp, hiking and/or paddling experience is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license required and, have at 2 years of experience as a licensed driver
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s)
Compensation: $12.50/hour This is an exempt position.
How to Apply:
Please email or send your resume, cover letter and 3 references to:
Kirsten Lindquist, Camp Director
Joppa Flats Education Center
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
Apply by: March 6 2017
Camp/Organization: Joppa Flats Summer Camp (ACA Accredited)
Location: Newburyport, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal