Kitchen Guru - 2018 Season
Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center
YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward · Sandwich, MA · Cape Cod
Come join our fun and supportive community at Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center, a 300-acre YMCA facility located a short drive from the ocean on beautiful Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Our programs reach a wide range of youth and adult groups and seek to instill wonder, encourage stewardship and cultivate community through interactive outdoor experiences. As a residential facility, Food Services provide an essential element critical to the success of our programs.
JOB DESCRIPTION: The primary role of the Kitchen Guru is to assist the Food Services Director with meal preparation, clean-up and the general maintenance of the kitchen and dining hall throughout our three distinct seasons of programming.
SPRING: We host elementary and middle schools for overnight outdoor education trips as well as other school groups, retreats and weddings.
SUMMER: Our boys and girls residential summer camps accommodate over 400 staff members and campers (aged 7-16) each week from mid-June through late August.
FALL: We host a wide variety of school and university groups, as well as specialty camps, adult retreats, and weddings.
Food preparation includes, but is not limited to: a 20 item salad bar, a variety of soups, extensive sandwich bars, and an assortment of hot meals. Meals are served either family style or buffet and accommodations are made for many dietary restrictions such as vegetarian or gluten-free.
The Kitchen Guru will report directly to the Food Services Director and will work with other kitchen staff during the spring and fall seasons to deliver the best possible experience to our guests. During the summer months, the Kitchen Guru will assist in the management and supervision of seasonal kitchen staff.
We have an organic farm on-site that can be used as a resource for the kitchen. The Kitchen Guru will be responsible for fostering a connection with the Farm Director to incorporate farm fresh produce into the meals, advertising these options to groups and campers, and coordinating the composting of kitchen scraps.
We are looking for someone with a great attitude, interest in gaining experience in a large-scale food service operation, high level of initiative, and a strong desire to be a part of our dynamic community.
The Kitchen Guru will live in shared housing alongside the seasonal outdoor education instructors and will have the opportunity to join in fun camp activities and staff outings. Paid training will be provided.
• Meal preparation, service and clean-up
• Collaborate on the kitchen planning, inventorying and ordering operations
• Contribute to creating a healthy and nutritional menu
• Provide friendly and helpful customer service to all of our guests
• Occasionally assist with other camp needs, as part of living in a community
Apply by: April 27 2018
Camp/Organization: Camp Burgess & Hayward (ACA Accredited)
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Type of Position: Kitchen Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
• 21+ years of age
• Prior experience in food service is preferred but not required
• Ability to assist with food preparation and a desire to develop new culinary skills
• Energy and willingness to perform required kitchen and dining room cleaning, and maintenance duties associated with these spaces
• Ability to lead and supervise others
• Ability to live and work as a team-player in a collaborative residential setting
• Must possess patience, flexibility, initiative, organization, responsibility, and a strong work ethic
• Capacity to respectfully give and receive feedback on a regular basis
• Preferred: experience with children
DURATION: • Spring training begins on April 2, 2018 • Fall Season runs through the end of October COMPENSATION: Pay is $385 per week. We provide comfortable staff housing, laundry facilities and all meals while working. Internet is also available. Additionally, Cape Cod is an awesome place to live! We have a wide range of outdoor recreation equipment to help you enjoy it. APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Email a resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org CONTACT INFORMATION: Kerri Sadoff Outdoor Education Director Burgess Outdoor Education & Retreat Center 75 Stowe Road Sandwich, MA 02563 www.capecodretreats.org