As a Junior Instructor at an Empow Studios Summer Camp, you will inspire and teach youth to create projects using today’s latest computer technologies. In each week-long day-camp session, you will educate campers through exposure to coding/programming, video game design, robotics, 3D design, stop-motion/digital animation, and other technological adventures. In between projects, you will engage campers with games, outdoor play, and other fun activities to reinforce learning and create a positive environment for all. The ideal candidate will have a passion for and experience in both STEM and youth education. This is a great opportunity for a flexible team player with a positive attitude and engaging communication and teaching skills.
Empow Studios staffs its camps with several different types of instructors including Lead, Senior, and Junior Instructors. Junior Instructors offer key support to the other instructors, primarily by helping students work through and complete their projects. Because Junior Instructors are typically closest in age to campers, it’s crucial that they embody Empow’s philosophy of respect and act as positive role models. They will work under the direct supervision of senior staff and escalate issues as needed.
Apply by: July 3 2020
Camp/Organization: Empow Studios
Location: Day Camp Locations across Massachusetts and Online: Lexington, Newton, Acton, Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Jamaica Plain, Brookline, Cambridge, Cape Cod, Franklin, Milton/Quincy, Natick, Needham/Wellesley, Shrewsbury, Somerville and Online/Virtual Camps.
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: This is a temporary hourly position with a max of 40 hours each camp-week for which you are scheduled. $13-$14/hr based on experience.
- Must have a minimum of 4 weeks worth of camp or teaching experience
- Must be able to start online training in June
- Must be 15+ years of age and a high school sophomore or above
- At least 1 year of work experience teaching or mentoring youth
- Demonstrated ability to positively impact youth and address the varied needs of students in a physical or virtual setting
- Experience in one or more subject matter areas: 3D design, music production, stop motion and digital animation, robotics, coding languages (Java, Python and/or Scratch), Minecraft (redstone, command blocks, pixel art), AR/VR languages (Unity & C#)
- Possession of a learner mindset; a willingness to learn new technologies and teaching techniques; and a positive "I care" attitude, including the ability to maintain enthusiasm in the face of challenges
- Engaging communication skills, including the ability to hold students’ attention while discussing subject matter, and willingness to engage parents/guardians as partners in the camp experience
- Demonstrated ability to be a flexible team player
- Experience in customer service
- Strong commitment to Empow Studios’ mission