Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA) serves thousands of girls in grades K-12 and works in partnership with thousands of adult volunteers. It is also a great place to work!
Every summer, girls arrive to summer camp excited for new experiences. As a Head Waterfront Counselor, it’s your responsibility to encourage them to be courageous, demonstrate compassion and leadership, and participate in energetic activities that build memories for a lifetime. You have a desire to work with youth as they learn and succeed. You strive to be an inspiration. You want to have a positive impact on them as they build a stronger sense of courage, confidence, and character.
GSEMA is currently looking for dedicated and qualified camp staff for our 2019 summer camp season. Seasonal camp positions will run from mid-June to mid-August.
HEAD WATERFRONT COUNSELOR- Camp Maude Eaton, 141 Abbot Street, Andover, MA 01810
Position Summary: To organize, direct and coordinate the waterfront program of the camp and for other council programs on the site.
- Assumes total responsibility for the waterfront program.
- Enforces measures for waterfront safety for every person in camp, including staff.
- Helps coordinate waterfront schedule with other programs in camp.
- Teaches and assists with skill strengthening and free swim.
- Supervises waterfront lifeguards.
- Assists in the care of all waterfront equipment.
- Monitors quality of water as instructed by the camp director/site manager.
- Prepares rainy day activities for continuing waterfront program on those days.
- Helps in the formulation of a progression of skills in all areas.
- Assists with reports, inventories, records and other paperwork as requested.
- Assists with opening and closing of camp.
- Assists with pre-camp training.
- Familiar with and see that American Camping Association Standards and Girl Scout Activity Checkpoints are maintained.
- All other duties as assigned.
Apply by: April 23 2019
Camp/Organization: Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Andover, MA
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
Note: It is a requirement of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Public Health Department that all lifeguards when on duty shall wear a bright red or bright orange bathing suit. Any shirt or jacket worn as an outer garment by a lifeguard shall also be red or bright orange and have the word GUARD printed in 4” lettering on the back. An orange hat or sun helmet shall be worn when on duty (105 CMR 435.23).
Physical Demands: The physical demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk on varied terrain, play games with campers and talk or hear.
- Specific vision ability required by this job is the ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. Ability to differentiate colors helpful.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 30 pounds on a regular basis. Work Environment: The work environment an employee is exposed to while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Work may be indoors or outdoors and may be hot, humid, rainy or cool weather. • Work will be during daytime with optional evening and overnight hours.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Current Red Cross Lifeguard Training or equivalent.
- Current Red Cross First Aid and CPR.
- Previous camp experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience treating and dealing with children in a professional manner.
- Acceptance of all people and ability to effectively relate to and communicate with a broad spectrum of campers and adults representing a variety of backgrounds and socio-economic conditions.
- Should possess initiative, resourcefulness, and have a common-sense approach to health situations that may arise.
- Knowledge of the Girl Scout program and a willingness to accept the beliefs and principles of the movement.