This is a critical position in the Wa-Klo community, because all campers at Wa-Klo take a swimming class. Since there are key safety aspects to take into account when on the waterfront, the Head of Swim oversees a pivotal area in our camp program.
During the summer, the Head of Swimming is expected to:
- Put campers first; create a safe environment; attend to physical and emotional safety of self and campers.
- Swim test all campers on their first day of swimming and consult with all swim staff in order to place campers into American Red Cross swim levels.
- Manage the swim staff in the program to ensure the smooth and efficient delivery of instruction. Ensure that all swim staff are comfortable and familiar with the American Red Cross swim levels.
- Work with swim staff to deliver a good warm up on land before campers enter the water. Work with swim instructors to deliver a quality aquatic instructional program incorporating purposeful games and safety information to keep campers engaged before the swim instruction portion of the activity period.
- Oversee lifeguards at all times
- Ensure paperwork is kept up-to-date including attendance cards and American Red Cross record sheets.
- Model good behavior; abide by rules; exhibit punctuality; wear uniforms; encourage respect for all.
- Respond immediately to requests by the Camper Advocates, Directors, Staff advocate, waterfront supervisor regarding campers and staff.
The Head of Swim is a pivotal member of the Wa-Klo team and must be willing and able to communicate constantly to her staff and to Supervisors. This position requires a “can do” attitude and a willingness to do “whatever needs to be done” to deliver a quality experience to each Wa-Klo camper.
Apply by: February 12 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Wa-Klo for Girls (ACA Accredited)
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
Previous camp experience experience teaching a running swim lessons