Position Purpose: To further the mission of BCH Camp by providing supervision, swim lessons and ensuring a safe environment at the camp’s waterfront. Assist in the management to the physical operation of the waterfront facilities and equipment. Essential Job Functions:
1. Supervise and guard all waterfront activities
- Provide surveillance during aquatic activities to help prevent and to manage injuries.
- Provide rescues as needed.
- Utilize first aid and CPR and other emergency management services as needed.
- Understand and implement appropriate response to changes in water conditions or weather conditions affecting the waterfront.
- Evaluate aquatics abilities of campers and staff.
2. Supervise and assist waterfront instructional staff in program areas such as swimming and boating
- Ensure campers and staff follow safety procedures while in their program activity.
- Act as reference in waterfront activities.
- Assist in the delivery and supervision of all water activities and special events at the waterfront.
3. Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in the waterfront program area
- Conduct daily check of area and equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Clean waterfront area daily keeping it free of hazards and debris.
Other Job Duties:
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading those as assigned.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Assist in the planning of any special events on or near the waterfront.
Physical Aspects of the Position:
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill levels) and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Apply by: May 18 2015
Camp/Organization: Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Greenfield, New Hampshire
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
Lifeguard certified Water Safety Instructor certified
- At least 2 years Waterfront Lifeguarding experience Managerial experience preferred
The Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference is an ACA accredited overnight camp serving the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts. We are a traditional New England camp with a focus on personal growth, community development and faith formation. Our mission is to provide every child the opportunity to attend camp. To this end we have a generous scholarship fund which enables youth from all walks of life to experience the adventurous spirit of BCH.
PO Box 204 108 Wally Stone Lane
Greenfield, New Hampshire 03047