Camp Matoaka is a summer camp for girls nestled in rustic Maine. Matoaka has a comprehensive riding program that provides semi-private lessons to campers throughout the summer. Matoaka has 8 horses that live in a beautifully preserved 19th century stable. The Head Horseback Riding Instructor is responsible for managing the riding staff and providing technical training to campers.
Apply by: June 2 2020
Camp/Organization: Camp Matoaka (ACA Accredited)
Location: Smithfield, ME
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Competitive salary based on experience.
- 10+ years of riding experience required
- Proficient in English Equitation at all levels including walk, trot, cantering and fences - 3-5 year teaching experience preferred
- CHA certification preferred
- CPR & First Aid certification preferred (can be trained at camp if necessary)
- Manage a team of 3 Riding Instructors and 1 Stable-Hand
- Coordinate daily staff schedule and manage performance of instructors
- Coach campers of all ages and skill levels; modify instruction and equipment to meet individual camper needs
- Teach fundamental riding skills including hunt seat equitation, walk-trot exercises, advanced competitive jumping, cantoring, and in-saddle instruction
- Coach Matoaka’s riding team in inter-camp competitions and shows
- Ensure horses are saddled and ready for campers to maximize riding time
- Partner with Stable Hand to monitor cleanliness and overall care of horses
- Collaborate with camp leadership to plan engaging programs for campers
This position can be used to earn internship college credit and/or fulfill required field experience hours.
328 Lagrange St.
Boston, Massachusetts 02132