Hartford County 4-H Camp, Inc. year round office
1225 Main Street, South Windsor, CT 06074
Summer Address: 247 South Road, Marlborough, CT
Position: FOOD SERVICE DIRECTOR (HEAD CHEF)
Responsible to: Camp Director and/or Associate Director
Summary: To plan, order, prepare and serve all camp meals and snacks in compliance with CTDPH/Chatham Health code standards and regulations as well as those set forth by Hartford County 4-H Camp, Inc.
- Candidate must show proof of good health, by providing a completed Health Form with a valid healthcare provider physical exam date of less than (3) years, as required by the State of Connecticut Youth Camp plan.
- At least 2 years Supervisory or Managerial Experience operating in a Food Service setting.
- Candidate must be willing and able to work a 7 day work week for approximately 10 weeks, Ideal candidate will reside onsite, at a residential youth summer camp. Approximate daily hours include a morning shift, a lunch shift as well as a dinner shift and will vary depending on food preparation needs and includes long breaks in between shifts as well as a 24 hour period off from Saturday 12:00 pm – Sunday 3:00 pm.
- Candidate will hold a valid Qualified Food Operator (QFO) Certificate (from ServSafe or equivalent) as required by the CTDPH/Chatman Health District. As well as be familiar with CTDPH and Chatham Health District health code requirements.
- Candidate must have good organizational, communication and leadership skills, as well as be able to train and supervise a crew of at least 3 people.
- Be able to assess and react calmly with a clear mind in any crisis situation. Candidate must have experience with feeding groups from 25 to 250+ people.
- Candidate must possess prior knowledge and ability to prepare a diverse two week menu, from scratch when applicable, for small and large group settings.
- Attend mandatory teen counselor/staff training meeting in June (date and time to be determined).
- Develop a 2 week cycle menu of meals and snacks that are nutritionally balanced for both “regular” and “vegetarian” diets.
- Work with Director and Nurse on duty, to accommodate campers, counselors and staff with dietary restrictions or food allergies
- Maintain and work within the food budget as set forth by the Board of Director’s for the camp season.
- Assist/guide the Co-op Manager (Camp Store) with ordering of food supplies; as well as Outpost, Outdoor Cooking and Program Coordinator with food supplies needed for programming activities,on a weekly basis.
- Oversee and participate in all aspects of Meal Preparation, serving and cleanup of all meals, each day.
- Supervision of at least 3 kitchen staff consisting of one Assistant Cook and 2 kitchen assistants (Kitchen Maintenance and dish room).
- Arrive at the kitchen on time and with a clean and neat appearance.
- Follow, model and enforce all camp rules, policies and procedures.
- Be a positive role model for campers, counselors and staff.
- Maintain a clean and sterile work environment as set for by the Chatham Health District, CTDPH and QFO guidelines. Includes, but is not limited to, dish room, pantry, all food prep areas, all kitchen equipment, food storage facilities, walk ins, freezers, salad bar, and outdoor recycling/garbage areas.
- Ordering all food from food purveyors on a daily/weekly basis as needed and including the food supplies needed by the Co-Op, Outpost, Outdoor Cooking and/or Program Coordinator. Maintain a record of all food purchases and keep an inventory of all food and food related items stored on premises.
- Check in all food deliveries, checking for quality control and putting away deliveries neatly and in a timely manner.
- Monitor all refrigeration and dishwashing devices, daily, for proper temperatures – work with Caretaker if problems.
- Ensure all meals are of the highest nutritional quality, served on time, hot when applicable, and in an appetizing manner for the entire camp season.
- Work with Director around any performance issues that may arise. Review each kitchen staff individually at the end of the summer and provide written evaluations and any feedback to the Camp Director.
- Keep accurate records for all food service, inventory, purchases, repairs, injuries, menus, number of meals served and submit, in a final report at the end of the season, to the Camp Director. Ensures the proper use and care of all equipment and reports any issues or maintenance needs to Director or Caretaker.
- Candidate will possess thorough knowledge of Kitchen safety and model that to those supervised. In case of incidents/accidents, contact Nurse immediately and Camp Director as soon as possible.
- Lead by example, Emphasize safety.
- Must pass a Certified Criminal and Sex Offender Registry Background Checks which will be become a permanent document in the personnel file.
- CPR and/or first aid certification beneficial but not mandatory.
- Accept and follow directions from Camp Director both in verbal and written form.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of campers, counselors, staff and visitors throughout the camping season. providing great customer service at all times.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-control and ability to adapt well to changing situations
- Close down the kitchen at end of camping season.
- Demonstrate the ability to operate industrial kitchen equipment.
- Lift 50 pounds from floor to table with help from Asst Cook and/or Kitchen Maintenance staff.
Apply by: March 12 2017
Camp/Organization: Hartford County 4H Camp
Location: Marlborough, CT
Type of Position: Kitchen Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: negotiable, depending on experience
See job description
At least 2 years Supervisory or Managerial Experience operating in a Food Service setting.
Please see our website: www.hartfordcounty4hcamp.org/jobopenings for the job description, official online application and additional program and kitchen openings