The Aloha Foundation is seeking a qualified, passionate, and inspirational Head Chef. The Head Chef’s primary responsibility is to take excellent care of our campers and staff by providing excellent food service.
The Head Chef oversees all kitchen operations while working with an international staff to provide delicious, wholesome, child-friendly meals for campers and staff.
This position offers the opportunity to lead a team while preparing quality meals in a positive, friendly environment. The season runs from June 10 to August 25. This position includes a competitive salary, room and board, and the opportunity to spend the summer in a beautiful lakeside setting in Vermont.
Apply by: March 19 2019
Camp/Organization: The Aloha Foundation (ACA Accredited)
Location: Fairlee, Vermont
Type of Position: Kitchen Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Commensurate with experience
• Create and maintain a positive and professional child-friendly atmosphere with a sense of mutual respect, both in the kitchen and throughout the camp.
• Prepare delicious meals for 250-270 people with a variety of options for vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free restrictions.
• Maintain superior food quality and sanitation standards in accordance with State and American Camp Association guidelines and regulations.
• Effectively manage all kitchen staff with the involvement of the Food Service Director and Camp Director. Train, supervise and motivate a kitchen staff with a range of international backgrounds. Create staff schedules and communicate responsibilities.
• Work with the Food Service Director to order all food and supplies while meeting set budgets for each.
• Ensure proper receiving and storage of all food and supplies.
• Communicate and work with the Director or liaison regarding special events and general feedback on the kitchen operation.
• Ensure proper food handling and food safety practices. Maintain a high standard of cleanliness throughout the kitchen and storage areas.
• Other duties as assigned.
Basic position requirements
• Excellent cultural fit for the camp and the Aloha Foundation, passion for our mission and delivering it through food and food service
• 8 or more years cooking experience—culinary degree a plus
• 3 or more years of experience in a head chef position
• Experience managing and training staff
• Experience working with purchasing food and supplies a plus
• Experienced in food sanitation and safety—ServSafe certified a plus
• Able to work on feet for duration of shift
• Able to lift and regularly move at least 35 pounds
• Comfortable using a computer and online purchasing sites a plus
The Aloha Foundation was founded in 1968 in an effort to preserve and sustain three historic summer camps as they passed from family to non-profit ownership. Since then, we have grown to five camps, a year-round outdoor educational center. and various other endeavors in the educational realm. Our mission is to inspire people of all ages to learn, grow, and become their best selves. We accomplish this through the curation of supportive and energetic communities, attracting and retaining transformational staff and leaders, and by connecting our work deeply to an understanding of people stemming from the fields of human development and education. For more information, please visit www.alohafoundation.org.