The Food Service Captain is responsible for supporting the food service operation at our summer camp. With two dining locations on site, the Food Service Captain applies safe food handling guidelines and sanitation rules to ensure that food is transported, held, and served at proper temperatures and in accordance with high quality standards. This individual works with the Chef/Kitchen Manager and fellow Support Staff to ensure that all staff and campers are fed and that dining procedures are consistent and efficient for each meal. This position reports to the Chef/Kitchen Manager.
Additional Responsibilities Include:
- Assist Chef/Kitchen Manager and Support Staff in cooking and serving meals
- Maintain safe storage conditions for all foods; ensure fresh quality of food and minimal waste
- Maintain kitchen in a clean manner that meets Health Code regulations
- Ensure that all procedures meet with state requirements for food service operation
- Communicate with Chef/Kitchen Manager concerning adjustments to amount of food needed, feedback from campers and staff, supplies needed, issues encountered, etc.
- Transport food and supplies between dining facilities to ensure smooth delivery of service
- Ensure food is transported, held, and served at proper temperatures
- Complete the daily responsibilities that are set for each meal including setting tables according to service standards and clearing tables following meal service
- Ensure everyone is fed.
- Observe and report camper and staff response to the meal to the Chef/Kitchen Manager for continuous refinement of menu
- Any other duties related to food service as assigned by Chef/Kitchen Manager
COMPENSATION: Compensation is negotiable and includes salary, room and board (if desired), paid time off, access to camp facilities, and more.
Position is seasonal in nature: June through August.
Apply by: May 20 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Starfish
Location: Rindge, NH
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
Skills required: good cooking skills, strong communication skills, well organized, resourceful, able to communicate graciously with a multi-cultural staff, able to work well with supervisors, ability to multitask, detail oriented while seeing the whole picture, able to work independently, able to lift and tote heavy items, and comfortable with basic reading, writing, and arithmetic functions Experience cooking or serving large groups (school, camp, retreat, or other similar) preferred.
All hiring decisions contingent on completed application, reference verification, and results of background checks.