Berkshire Botanical Garden (BBG) is a not-for-profit, membership-supported educational organization encompassing 20 acres of cultivated land in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. The Garden’s mission is to fulfill the community’s need for information, education and inspiration concerning the art and science of gardening and the preservation of our environment.
BBG is seeking an experienced camp administrator to direct its summer Farm in the Garden Camp. Farm in the Garden Camp is a summer day camp which provides time, space, and guidance for children to learn and play in an energizing and kind garden community. Our work at the garden will be to care for the plants and animals that sustain us and to make good use of the harvest. Find out more about BBG’s Farm in the Garden Camp at https://www.berkshirebotanical.org/farm-garden-camp.
In addition to Farm Camp responsibilities, the Camp Director will also assist with other education programs at BBG including after school programs during the school year, leading school field trips that come to the Garden, and proctoring our adult community classes and workshops. This position plays a key role in the organization’s strategic planning for the continued success of the Farm in the Garden Camp and the organization as a whole.
A full job description is available at www.berkshirebotanical.org/employment.
Apply by: March 2 2020
Camp/Organization: Farm in the Garden Camp/Berkshire Botanical Garden
Location: Stockbridge, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
Salary: $35,000-$38,000 d.o.e.
- Previous experience demonstrating a passion for youth development required, preferably in an outdoor or experiential setting.
- At minimum, completion of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college is required.
- At least 2 seasons in a camp administrative or management role involving managing other staff is highly desired.
- Entrepreneurial in spirit, creative and innovative, a proven record of developing successful educational programming for children in the field of gardening, agriculture, and environmental science.
- A willingness to take initiative, solve problems, assess priorities, and manage a variety of tasks calmly and effectively.
- Must have an abundance of patience as well as a good sense of humor and strong work ethic.
- Must be able to successfully pass a CORI and SORI background check.
- Must be physically able to work outside all day and lift and move up to 50 lbs.
- Must have reliable transportation, a clean driving record, and have had a driver’s license for a minimum of three consecutive years.
- Must have or be able to obtain CPR/first aid training associated with health care supervisor role.
Work schedule during camp season will require flexibility and over-time most weeks as needed to meet program demands. Non-summer hours generally Monday through Friday 9am-5pm, with some flexibility. Occasional weekend and evening hours required for education programs and BBG special events. Please submit a cover letter and resume to Chris Wellens, Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413-357-4657 with any questions. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.