Fernwood Cove, an overnight girls’ summer camp in Harrison, Maine and is actively seeking our next Equestrian Program Specialist and Barn Manager to lead our Natural Horsemanship Program and staff.
Candidates for the Equestrian Program Specialist and Barn Manager position should have skills in training horses (utilizing the philosophies of Natural Horsemanship, Parelli preferred however more importantly an open mind to a horsemanship approach and learning) and have extensive experience in instructing riding lessons at beginner, intermediate and advance levels, with an emphasis on English discipline. Additionally, candidates should have proven experience in horse husbandry, tack fitting, and equine management.
Summer 2019 would be a transitional summer, beginning May 2019. Full-time employment with Fernwood Cove would begin September 1, 2019. The transition period of May – August 2019 will include:
- Learning Fernwood Cove programs and operating procedures for the current Head of the Natural Horsemanship Program.
- Gaining knowledge and experience in Natural Horsemanship as it relates to Fernwood Cove horsemanship programs.
- Working as an instructor and staff member in the Fernwood Cove Summer Camp program. Staff member responsibilities include instructing daily lessons, assisting in horse care and barn management, assisting in horse training, and performing other Fernwood Cove staff responsibilities related to overall camp programs.
The full-time role as Equestrian Specialist and Barn manager includes:
- Planning, developing and implementing spring, summer and fall equestrian education programs for students and adults.
- Management of a herd of 10 to 15 horses of various breeds, sizes and ability levels.
- Screening prospective horses for the Fernwood Cove summer camp program.
- Manage, train and supervise seasonal Horsemanship Staff for camp programs.
- Manage and oversee the summer camp program, including coordinating camper and staff schedules.
- Maintain training and schooling for each horse. Additionally, maintain an established database with records on each horse including horse health, horse behavior and horse training.
- Manage the barn facility, including riding arenas and paddock areas. Perform basic upkeep and maintenance on a regular basis.
This position works closely with the Fernwood Cove Camp Director and Owner to maintain safety, health and well-being of participants, staff and horses. Full-time position starts September 1, 2019 with a competitive full-time salary and on-site accommodations included in employment package.
Apply by: May 24 2019
Camp/Organization: Fernwood Cove (ACA Accredited)
Location: Harrison, Maine
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Year Round
Salary: Competitive, depending on experience, housing included
Successful candidates will:
• Work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends,
• Reside at Fernwood Cove in Harrison, Maine,
• Have or be willing to obtain CHA certification in English riding disciplines within 6 months of hire,
• Demonstrate experience in horseback riding, teaching, instructing and equine management,
• Pass a criminal background check,
• Be at least 21 years of age with a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
Suggested Experience includes:
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher-level studies in Equine Management with a strong understanding of instructional riding, and horse care
• Background and experience in Natural Horsemanship, preferably Parelli Natural Horsemanship. If no prior experience a willingness to obtain professional level training and credentials in Natural Horsemanship
• Prior experience instructing English style riding lessons at beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels
• Prior experience in horse herd management, including feeding and healthcare
• Prior experience training, supervising, and managing other staff members/employees