Belmont Day School is seeking an experienced, committed, and enthusiastic leader to manage the school’s summer offerings. Belmont Day Summer Camp, now in its 62nd year of operation, offers a traditional, recreational summer program as well as activity-specific specialty programs during 10 weeks each summer. The program serves about 650 children, ages three- to fifteen-years-old, and employs about 100 seasonal staff over the course of the summer. running sessions for 250 to 300 campers each session.
The Director of Summer Programs will oversee all aspects of the Summer Session programs, including camper recruitment, budget management, staff recruitment and hiring, and overall operational and strategic management of the program. The role is an 80% position with a variable schedule over the course of the year (fewer hours in the fall and early winter, increasing in the spring and summer to 100% time). This role reports to the Director of Finance.
Camper Recruitment and Management
- Oversees all aspects of camper recruitment and enrollment including: recruiting new campers, supporting returning camper retention and re-enrollment, inquiry follow-up, and new lead generation.
- Work with communications office to develop a marketing plan that will result in meeting target enrollments and help identify new leads.
- Provide timely, positive, and honest communication with families interested in camp with a customer service lens.
- Work with Business Manager to set budget for all summer programs annually
- Report previous summer results and proposed upcoming year budget to the Finance Committee each fall
- Track revenue and expenses to insure budget goals are attained
- Ensure that all summer tuition is collected in accordance with payment terms and that outstanding balances are paid in full before a child attends a session.
- Be sure that vendor invoices are accurate and paid in a timely manner
- Define goals and plan programs that reflect Belmont Day Summer Camp’s values and vision statement
- Work with the camp director, summer programs administrator, and summer administrative team to create, implement and develop all aspects of camp programs
- Work with camp director and summer programs administrator to maintain positive, regular communications with campers, families, staff, and school year faculty throughout the year through email campaigns, phone calls and events
- Ensure compliance with all applicable licensing and accreditation standards and requirements — to insure successful annual board of health licensure and American Camping Association accreditation.
- Conduct regular assessment of programs and staff
- Recruit, hire, and train all seasonal staff that support summer programs
- Ensure that appropriate employment paperwork is complete and on file for all staff and that Belmont Day School is compliant with all applicable employment laws and regulations as they pertain to seasonal staff
- Develop and implement staff training programs
- Build authentic relationships to enhance individual and team performance
Apply by: March 24 2020
Camp/Organization: Belmont Day School (ACA Accredited)
Location: Belmont, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Flexible and patient, with a strong initiative and drive
- Customer service-oriented problem solver
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- A shared commitment to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community
● Prior experience with summer programs, including camper/student recruitment, staff recruitment/hiring, budget management, and personnel management
● Prior administrative/leadership role in a program management position
Belmont Day seeks candidates who will add to the diversity of our community. The school will always be maintained as a nonsectarian institution. The school is an equal opportunity employer. The school complies with all legal requirements in connection with admissions and access to programs, facilities, and employment practices regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, or disability. Please submit a cover letter specific to this position along with a resume to email@example.com.