Camp Pembroke, located south of Boston, MA, near Cape Cod, seeks its next dynamic, engaging Director to carry forward and build on Pembroke’s 85-year legacy of excellence in the world of Jewish camping.
One of the three Eli and Bessie Cohen Camps, Camp Pembroke (camppembroke.org) is New England’s only pluralistic, Jewish overnight camp just for girls. Here, girls ages 7 to 16 spend each summer in an enriching environment that nurtures campers, promotes independence and self-confidence, builds community, strengthens Jewish identity, and—most importantly—creates fun and friendships that last a lifetime.
Reporting to the Cohen Camps President, the Director leads, manages, and publicly represents Camp Pembroke. The Director manages all functional areas at camp: camper care; recruitment and retention; program innovation and implementation; activity schedules; staff hiring, supervision, and professional development; food service; facility and physical plant; fiscal and risk management; general welfare and security; and a broad spectrum of communications. As the leader of Camp Pembroke, the Director models the values, goals, objectives and nonprofit mission of the Cohen Camps, partners with the Cohen Camps Director of Development to cultivate donors, and represents the camp to families, alumnae, and the camping field.
The Cohen Camps organization (cohencamps.org), which also includes the co-ed Camp Tel Noar and Camp Tevya and the Dor L’Dor Israel Programs, melds the creativity of independent camps with shared resources, partnership, and support. Camp Pembroke’s Director collaborates with the other Cohen Camps Directors and the year-round Cohen Camps team. Camp Pembroke’s Director lives at camp for each summer (June- late August); for the remainder of the year, the Director works out of the Cohen Camps’ offices in Wellesley, MA.
Apply by: November 4 2019
Camp/Organization: Camp Pembroke (ACA Accredited)
Location: Wellesley, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
Salary: TBD based on experience and education
- Proven record as a relationship and community builder.
- Demonstrated experience with children ages 7 to 16, preferably in an informal, experiential or camp setting.
- Practical experience in recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, and developing seasonal staff.
- Exemplary communication, networking, and problem-solving skills.
- Availability for periodic domestic and international travel and evening and weekend work.
- Comfort level with computers including Word, Excel, web-based databases, and social media applications.
General Qualifications/Requirements as Camp Director:
• Bachelor’s degree required. Degree in education, social work, psychology, human services, Jewish education, or nonprofit management desired. Master’s degree preferred.
• Five years plus leadership and supervisory role(s) in a camp setting managing young staff, and working with children and adolescents is required. Previous experience in Jewish overnight camp is highly desirable.
Desired: o Demonstrated passion for Jewish overnight camping and its impact on identity and the community. o Insight into how to cultivate the strengths of girls and young women. o Established connection and network to local Jewish organization within Camp Pembroke’s East Coast catchment area. o Marketing and social media skills. o Experience as a professional in the Jewish community through youth groups, such as BBYO, USY, Young Judaea, or NFTY, or through work in a local synagogue or campus Hillel. To Apply • Please send a resume and email summarizing relevant experience to PembrokeHR@cohencamps.org by November 1, 2019. No recruiters, please.