Joppa Flats Education Center seeks an enthusiastic lead counselor for its nature day camp for children ages 6 to 11 and our new travelling nature day camp for ages 11 to 13. With the support of the Camp Director, lead counselors collaborate with each other and the assistant counselors to create hands-on, engaging and fun natural history activities, using weekly habitat and wildlife themes as inspiration. During the camp day, you will be the lead in running these activities and taking campers on local field trips. As part of this, you will be responsible for the health and safety of groups of up to 16 children – with the support of the Camp Director and the help of an assistant counselor - while at Joppa Flats Education Center and weekly off-site field trips. As part of this responsibility, you will be expected to administer first aid and medications to campers when necessary. Mandatory training includes risk management, childhood development, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, lesson planning, and a three-day, two-night field school experience at Mass Audubon’s Camp Wildwood. Joppa Flats Summer Camp emphasizes nature study, group cooperation, and experiential learning, and fun outdoors.
Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature.
Please be sure to visit http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/joppa-flats/summer-camp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
How to Apply: Please email or send your resume, cover letter and 3 references to: Kirsten Lindquist - Camp Director firstname.lastname@example.org Joppa Flats Education Center P.O. Box 1558 Newburyport, MA 01950
Apply by: April 18 2016
Camp/Organization: Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats Education Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Newburyport, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Be certified in CPR/First Aid/AED for Children and Adults by June 1st, 2016.
- Be capable of leading local field trips with an assistant counselor and/or teen volunteers independent of the Camp Director, for groups of up to 16 campers.
- Driving campers in a mini-van.
- Be comfortable working largely outside and willing to handle sun and bugs.
- Hiking and/or paddling experience is preferable.
- Be willing to tent overnight at the Joppa Flats Education Center while supervising 11-13 year old campers with the Camp Director.
- Pass a background record check (CORI and SORI).
- Possess a driver’s license, have at 2 years of experience as a licensed driver, and will need to pass a drivers background record check.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Have the ability and willingness to think on their feet and adapt to dynamic, changeable camp days and demonstrate leadership in everyday problem-solving.
- Be at least 20 years of age.
- Have teaching experience (formal or informal) related to local habitats, wildlife and/or ecology.
- Have an interest in and understanding of children, and a desire to share outdoor experiences with them.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively and independently to design and implement nature-based activities, including games and crafts.
Compensation and Benefits Rate of pay: $12.25/hr $10.00/hour during Field School (travel time to and from field school is not compensated, but transportation is provided or reimbursed for) Schedule: Mondays - Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm, 40 hours/week (4th of July off) 8:00am – 4:30pm plus one paid overnight during Nature Questers, our new pre-teen program (August 22-26) Training and Planning Weeks: June 7 - 24, 2016/Overnight training at Camp Wildwood is June 14-16 Camp Weeks: June 27– August 14, 2016.