The Town of Merrimack, NH is seeking applicants for the position of Camp Director.
The Camp Director oversees and manages all aspects of Camp Naticook, an eight week Summer Day Camp Program for up to 120 children per week in Grades K – 8. The camp operates in Wasserman Park in Merrimack, NH, a 44 acre park on Naticook Lake.
- Assist the Director of Parks & Recreation in the recruitment and selection of Camp Staff.
- Plan, direct, supervise and lead the daily operations of the Naticook Day Camp program and create a high energy, fun and creative experience for campers.
- Works with Camp Leadership Team to plan, develop and implement a wide variety of Camp activities and special events.
- Provide support to the Leadership Team and Camp Counselors. Provide guidance and opportunities to learn and grow.
- Define and monitor emergency management plan. Train all staff members in Camp Emergency procedures.
- Prepare and facilitate Pre-Camp staff training and hold weekly staff meetings with on-going learning opportunities.
- Monitor safety of all campers and staff and work with Parks and Recreation Director to manage disciplinary issues as needed.
- Establishes positive rapport and on-going communication among staff, campers and their parents. - Ensure that the Camp is running smoothly on a daily basis.
- Manages inventory and requisitions supplies in a timely manner.
- Prepare an evaluation and summary of current season including inventories, staff evaluations, campers’ reports, and recommendations for improvements the following season.
- Report concerns to the Director of Parks & Recreation.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Skills in communication, leadership and public relations
- Knowledge of the development stages of children in Grades K – 8
- Ability to train and motivate staff
- Ability to think critically and make sound evaluations
- Ability to connect with campers and staff members
- Flexible and willing to try new ways of doing things
- Ability to communicate and train staff and campers in safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Ability to observe camper behavior assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Ability to handle stress
Position is 40 hours per week beginning in late June with some pre-season planning and training hours required. The Camp program runs thru Mid-August. Pre-season hours are flexible in nature.
Apply by: March 26 2016
Camp/Organization: Naticook Day Camp / Merrimack Parks & Recreation (ACA Accredited)
Location: Merrimack, NH
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
Current CPR and Standard First Aid certifications or willingness to obtain.
Experience dealing with parents in a professional and tactful manner.
Be resourceful and flexible in many situations and be able to think critically to identify and respond to hazards.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- At least 2 years of leadership experience in a Day Camp or Sleep Away Camp setting. Past experience as a Camp Director or Administrator is highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation, Early Childhood Education, Physical Education or related field is preferred. Combination of education and experience that indicates an ability to meet the requirements of the job are also acceptable.
- Experience supervising Lifeguards is a plus.