Joppa Flats Education Center is looking for enthusiastic assistant counselors for its nature day camp for children ages 6 to 11. This position assists lead counselors with preparing lessons and activities, facilitating activities during the camp day, supervising campers, and helping to maintain a positive camp environment You will support lead counselors and the Camp Director in safeguarding the health and well-being of the group while at Joppa Flats Education Center and on weekly off-site field trips. You also will be needed to drive a mini-van with up to 6 campers. Mandatory training includes risk management, childhood development, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, lesson planning, and a three-day, two-night field school experience at Mass Audubon’s Camp Wildwood. Joppa Flats Summer Camp emphasizes nature study, group cooperation, and experiential learning, and fun outdoors.
Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature.
Please be sure to visit http://www.massaudubon.org/get-outdoors/wildlife-sanctuaries/joppa-flats/summer-camp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
How to Apply: Please email or send your resume, cover letter and 3 references to: Kirsten Lindquist - Camp Director firstname.lastname@example.org Joppa Flats Education Center P.O. Box 1558 Newburyport, MA 01950
Apply by: April 18 2016
Camp/Organization: Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats Education Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Newburyport, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Be certified in First Aid by June 6, 2016 (American Red Cross or equivalent).
- Be comfortable working largely outside and willing to handle sun and bugs.
- Pass a background record check (CORI and SORI).
- Possess a driver’s license, have at 2 years of experience as a licensed driver, and will need to pass a drivers background record check.
- Be enthusiastic and excited to learn.
- Have the ability and willingness to think on their feet and adapt to dynamic, changeable camp days.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have an interest in and understanding of children, and a desire to share outdoor experiences with them.
- Have the ability to work cooperatively and independently.
- Have a strong interest in nature and a desire to share that passion for, and knowledge of, natural history with others.
- Experience in this type of position is a plus.
- Paddling experience is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits Rate of pay: $11.25/hour $10.00/hour during Field School (travel time to and from field school is not compensated, but transportation is provided or reimbursed) Schedule: Mondays - Fridays 8:00am – 4:00pm, 40 hours/week (4th of July off) 8:00am – 4:30pm plus one paid overnight during Nature Questers, our new pre-teen program (August 22-26) Training and Planning Weeks: June 7 - 24, 2016/Overnight training at Camp Wildwood is June 14-16 Camp Weeks: June 27– August 14, 2016