Hurricane Island Center for Science & Leadership ("HICSL") is seeking a Cook for the 2019 on island season from April 15 to October 15.
This person lives and works on Hurricane Island as a Cook in HICSL’s energetic and fun campus kitchen. The cook will be responsible for preparation and serving of 3 meals a day for an island community of 40-60 people, as well as periodic special events such as Farm to Table dinners and Board/Donor events. This person must reflect HICSL’s core mission of leadership and sustainability, through positive energy and enthusiasm for sustainable food practices and systems. The cook will work closely with the Kitchen Manager/Head Cook and Galley Assistants to ensure health and safety standards are met.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Responsible for food preparation and service of 3 meals a day for an island community of 40-60 people, in addition to special events such as Farm to Table dinners and Board/Donor events, with support from other kitchen staff.
- Build and maintain an open and welcoming environment in the kitchen that is in-line with HICSL’s core values and that supports a diverse educational learning community.
- Work with Kitchen Manager/Head Cook to to ensure that all dietary needs and food allergies are addressed, as well as attention to variety, nutrition, and food group balance.
- Act as Head Cook when needed for occasional oversight of kitchen and staff.
- Work with Kitchen Manager/Head Cook in food ordering and to organize food deliveries to the island.
- Ensure Maine Food Code, health and sanitation regulations are being followed and enforced.
- Maintain kitchen cleanliness, food storage, and overall organization of the kitchen, including washing dishes.
- Manage program participants involvement in washing dishes and kitchen clean-up.
- Troubleshoot any problem solve any issues that arise regarding food preparation and service.
Apply by: May 12 2019
Camp/Organization: Hurricane Island Foundation
Location: Hurricane Island/Penobscot Bay, Rockland, ME
Type of Position: Kitchen Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: Based on experience PLUS full room and board for the 6 months.
- Experience in large-scale commercial or camp food preparation.
- General knowledge of commercial kitchens and required operations.
- Hard working, strong oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as a positive group member.
- Extensive cooking experience.
- Extremely organized and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of or interest in sustainable food practices and systems.
- Ability to function under limited supervision.
- Works well on a team offering providing and accepting feedback, as needed.
- Teaching experience
- Knowledge and experience with farms, gardens, composting.
- Experience living in remote places and/or in a community work environment.
- WFR or similar certification.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull or push objects or materials that often exceed 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work in a noisy, energetic work environment.
Compensation: This is a paid, contracted position without benefits. Employees receive full room and board on Hurricane Island for the entirety of their contracted employment, in addition to their pay. All salaries are commensurate with experience.