• Ensure the safety of all participants on the challenge course, climbing tower, high ropes course, & zip-line. Responsibly supervises campers at all times.
• Leads by example in accordance with camp’s values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility. Provides a positive role model for campers to look up to.
• Teaches four climbing classes a day. Provides fun, creative programming for these classes.
• Schedules cabins to climb each morning prior to start of classes. Supervise these cabin activities when occurring.
• Supervises and evaluates staff assisting with climbing classes.
• Belay-certifies all staff during staff training.
• Cares for climbing equipment and records equipment use on usage charts in accordance with State, ACA and YMCA policies.
• Inspects condition of Challenge course each week and documents findings. Reports any problems immediately to supervisor.
• Assists support staff on check-in and check-out days
• Attends and assists as necessary with all camp evening programs
• Assists in camp night supervision, including a night walking patrol.
• Maintains a leadership role and leads by example for all of camp.
• Any other duties as assigned by the Camp Director.
Apply by: April 4 2015
Camp/Organization: YMCA Camp Woodstock (ACA Accredited)
Location: Woodstock Valley, CT
Type of Position: Program Head
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: $2,100 + room and board
• Must be at least 20 years of age
• Must hold a current Driver’s License. Must be able to pass a driving background check, as well as a diving test.
• Must have interest in the outdoors.
• Interested and able to acquire certifications in…
o Top-rope Belaying
o Climbing Tower Management
o Low-Ropes Facilitation
o High Ropes Facilitation …from organizations like Edventure Builders, Inner Quest, Cradle Rock, Project Adventure, etc. (TRAINING & CERTIFICATIONS AVAILABLE AND PROVIDED BY CAMP WOODSTOCK PRIOR TO START OF POSITION.)
• Must have organizational ability to maintain equipment, and to create and sustain an effective system to track equipment.
• Ability to maintain the climbing program in adherence with standards set by the YMCA, the State of Connecticut, and the American Camping Association.