Essential Duties & Responsibilities Include the following (other duties as assigned):
1. Design written age-appropriate activity curriculum for campers in assigned program area.
2. Implement program curriculum on a daily basis, offering opportunities for skill progression as well as personal development of campers.
3. Ensure that all activities in assigned program area are safe and that the physical location of the activity is free from environmental hazards.
4. Maintain the program area and equipment in good working condition. If repairs or replacement equipment is needed, timely communication with the supervisor is required.
5. Ensure and promote the health and safety of all children through proactive measures including role modeling. This may include the use of sunscreen, active hydration, avoidance of environmental hazards.
6. Complete all assigned paperwork in a timely and accurate manner. This may include accident reports, incident reports, time cards, inventory, evaluations, etc.
7. Provide activities for campers that are appropriate in case of inclement weather (i.e. excessive heat or rain)
8. Maintain good public relations with parents. Understand that you represent the YMCA and maintain a positive disposition, demeanor and attire.
9. Set and maintain limits for children using positive reinforcement.
10. Treat children with dignity and respect. Recognize their individuality and diversity.
11. Maintain a healthy and safe environment through regular maintenance and cleaning of the facilities.
12. Report concerns of parents or of children to direct supervisor.
13. Arrive prepared for the scheduled shift, prepared for constant concentration and visual surveillance of program participants with no distractions.
14. Responsible for attending staff meetings and events as necessary.
15. Actively participate in pre-camp training. Demonstrate and teach the Character Development values of caring, respect, responsibility and honesty.
16. Work in harmony and cooperation with the staff, volunteers and members of the YMCA to develop team spirit and family atmosphere.
17. Responsible for being prepared to participate in aquatic activity with children; dress in appropriate swim attire for water-based activities when extra staff support is necessary.
YMCA of Greater Providence Team Standards:
1. Know our mission and be able to tell our story. The mission of the YMCA of Greater Providence is to build healthy spirit, mind and body for all, through programs, services and relationships that are based on our core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
2. Honor your colleagues by being on time, present and fully engaged at all times.
3. If you disagree, propose a solution.
4. Be accountable for results.
5. A commitment to valuing and acting as one YMCA as evidenced by referring to ourselves as employees of the YMCA of Greater Providence.
6. Display leadership that requires not only skill, but energy, passion, optimism and creativity.
7. Build open and honest communication. Face to face, or voice to voice, is the preferred method of communication with email for information sharing only.
8. Deliver exceptional service that is of high value. Build a positive staff team. Be friendly.
Apply by: June 27 2017
Camp/Organization: YMCA of Greater Providence - Bayside Branch (ACA Accredited)
Location: Barrington, RI
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
- To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or Experience:
- High School (GED) preferred
- Minimum age 18 years
- Proof of teaching experience or willingness to train
CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES
- CPR (In-house)/AED
- First Aid (Outreach)
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyle Principles (within 3 months of hire)
- Foundations of YMCA Strength and Conditioning (within 6 months of hire)
- Foundations of YMCA Group Exercise
- YMCA Cardio and Step Aerobics Instructor
- OSHA – online
- Child Abuse Prevention
- Listen First
- Ability to anticipate, identify and address member’s needs to ensure safety and enjoyment.
- To accurately complete all required paperwork.
- To professionally handle and or get help to resolve conflict.
- Ability to follow instructions as given and/or directed by supervisor.
Barrington, Rhode Island